courtney.b

Re: Prusa + Box

Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 pm

john.w18 wrote:I posted earlier about this enclosure before I got my Prusa.

The enclosure was handmade and designed to heat the enclosure and scrub the air of any toxins. Air is sucked through a Hepa filter into a chamber to the right of the printer and through a carbon filter (grow up exhaust filter). The air is then drawn through a subfloor and past a reptile heat lamp. The temperature is thermostatically controlled. I print ABS at around 38C internal temperature. The electronics and particularly the PSU prefer cooler temps. I find the PSU on the prusa runs hot even not enclosed. The vent fans suck cold air from outside and directly blow cool air on the electronics. The PSU runs very cool using this method.

Dude.. This is Amazing! and exactly what i need... i use my anet a6 for ABS and have it enclosed in an IKEA LACK enclosure.. but you can DEFINITELY still smell the ABS when printing.. it worries me a bit.. so i would love to get something like this built so i'm no longer killing my roommate and myself -.-. Plus, getting my MK2S enclosed as well is a decent perk

john.w18

Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 am

Ok so first up some requested info on the build.

Thermostat that is linked to the heat lamp.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IBK ... UTF8&psc=1
Carbon filtration - these filters have several pounds of carbon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E58 ... UTF8&psc=1
Exhaust fan
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01L6E ... UTF8&psc=1
Particulate Filter
Any of the 3M furnace filters with an MPR Rating of 1900 or higher

The smaller air intake fans that push cold air onto the electronics are simply 12V DC computer fans. If you have old electronics lying around the house then you can likely easily find DC fans and also quite likely a 12V DC transformer. Dont worry about current rating as these fans draw very little power. I have a 1000mA transformer with several fans attached.

I will post more pictures of the setup in the next day or so and give some details on how it is constructed.

One thing I have noticed with a lot of builds with filtration is that they go about it the wrong way. My background was in biological and chemical research. For fumehoods that did not exhaust air externally, they are setup to scrub the air. This is because filters are partially effective unless you spend crazy amounts of money.

Let's assume filter is 80% effective

1st pass
80% clean 20% contaminated
2nd pass
96% clean 4% contaminated
3rd pass
99.2% clean 0.8% contaminated

You get the idea.

After I have finished printed I let the unit cool down while the filtration is running.

john.w18

Mon May 22, 2017 4:06 am

Hopefully this helps understanding how I built it.
Let me know if any questions.
Attachments
IMG_0710.JPG
Note subfloor has fans that drawaCarbon filter behind yellow painted acrylic door.
IMG_0710.JPG (81.85 KiB) Viewed 695 times
IMG_0709.JPG
Air drawn through particle filter through inline duct and exhausts into carbon filter
IMG_0709.JPG (80.31 KiB) Viewed 695 times
IMG_0708.JPG
Picture of particle filter
IMG_0708.JPG (105.68 KiB) Viewed 695 times

steven.w

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 pm

I saw that a lot of people building a box are setting the power supply and most electronics outside of it.
From technical point of view, this makes a lot of sense. Did anyone already design a part to insert instead of the power supply to still get the improved printer frame stability?

john.w18

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:26 am

steven.w wrote:I saw that a lot of people building a box are setting the power supply and most electronics outside of it.
From technical point of view, this makes a lot of sense. Did anyone already design a part to insert instead of the power supply to still get the improved printer frame stability?
Yes this was my concern as well.

I find that even sucking cold air from the outside and blowing it onto the power supply that I am still able to get a reasonable temperature without additional heating even in an enclosure as large as mine. It is also very advantageous to have cold air blowing on the power supply. The power supply is passively cooled which means that it can get quite warm even when not enclosed. I find with my solution the power supply is cool even when enclosed.

scott.m9

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:50 am

Wow! some great enclosures here!
It's given me some great ideas for my next chamber build!
I made a heated enclosure out of urethane foam sheets... had fun making it... will eventually get around to sharing the details here :)
You can find my other designs on thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/ScottyMakesStuff/designs
You can find DIY videos on my YouTube channel 'Scotty Makes Stuff'
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChDeVc ... -0wQQYNIhQ

sergio.f2

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:15 pm

I have a BESTA 60x60x40 but I read that the printer will no fit....depht isn't enough? can someone tell me sizes of a mk2s finished? Still waiting mine to check it...

bob.b2

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:00 pm

I have to say, I dont understand no one is selling a decent 3D print enclosure. Sure, most 3D pinter users are "makers" and likely to hack something themselves, but I would like to just buy a good looking box, ideally with built in ventilation and lights, or at least a kit so I dont have to shop around looking for bits and pieces everywhere; yet no amount of money seems to be able to buy one :?:

Please, someone do a kickstarter for a good enclosure. Surely this market is big enough!

kamil.r

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm

bob.b2: regarding box, someone having patent for that :(

Return to “Improvements”