evan.c
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:33 pm

For folks having trouble with their extruder or bed not heating, be sure that you don't have any lingering settings from an older installation of Cura. It's a known issue with the 2.3 beta that previous installations will tend to override various settings in 2.3, including temperatures and retraction settings.

In my github repository I included instructions for where to find these settings and get rid of them. Please note that I didn't create Cura and have no control over this bug. It is what it is. If you want to try 2.3, you have to clear out old settings, and then not run the older version again (or it will recreate the problem). Simply uninstalling the old version isn't sufficient, as that won't clean out the old settings files.

The updated instructions are here: https://github.com/Apsu/cura-i3-mk2/blo ... /README.md

evan.c
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:35 pm

paul.b2 wrote:Is the Prusa staff working with the Cura team on this?

I'll drop them an email and see if one of the team can help out. They are good to work with and like adding native support to other printers.
Josef emailed me about my definition, and I'm waiting on him to get back to me.

That said, I already submitted a pull request to the Cura repo for the definition and got it merged: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/978

So the next release they produce will have this definition in it already :D

User avatar
paul.b2
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:22 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm

evan.c wrote:
Josef emailed me about my definition, and I'm waiting on him to get back to me.

That said, I already submitted a pull request to the Cura repo for the definition and got it merged: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/978

So the next release they produce will have this definition in it already :D
That's great! I sent a link to this thread to one of the staff developing Cura, so perhaps he will chime in at some point :)

User avatar
PJR
Posts: 4182
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:37 am
Topics answered: 13
Location: Kamnik, Slovenija
Contact: Send private message Website

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Just to put a spanner in the works, and one that many will not agree on, Cura is not a great slicer for this printer. In my very humble opinion, it is 4th or 5th best behind (in Alphabetical order) Kisslicer, Simplify and Slic3r with the contender for fourth place being Craftware.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

evan.c
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:18 pm

PJR wrote:Just to put a spanner in the works, and one that many will not agree on, Cura is not a great slicer for this printer. In my very humble opinion, it is 4th or 5th best behind (in Alphabetical order) Kisslicer, Simplify and Slic3r with the contender for fourth place being Craftware.

Peter
I don't necessarily disagree, I don't have a strong stake in it either way. It's just that this sort of work was within my skillset as it's part of my daily career and I at least wanted to *try* the new beta :P

That said, their new slicing engine seems like it provides a lot of really exciting new features and flexibility, so I think it's worth testing out and exploring further.

User avatar
PJR
Posts: 4182
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:37 am
Topics answered: 13
Location: Kamnik, Slovenija
Contact: Send private message Website

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:20 pm

evan.c wrote:I think it's worth testing out and exploring further.
Absolutely agree.

I think the point I was trying to make is that Cura is designed to be used with one particular make of printer and the comments I have seen on their forums regarding other printer makers seem to imply that the devs there have no interest in the interaction with those other makes. And from their point I would also agree that there is no financial incentive for them to assist users of other printer brands.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

evan.c
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:14 pm

PJR wrote:
evan.c wrote:I think it's worth testing out and exploring further.
Absolutely agree.

I think the point I was trying to make is that Cura is designed to be used with one particular make of printer and the comments I have seen on their forums regarding other printer makers seem to imply that the devs there have no interest in the interaction with those other makes. And from their point I would also agree that there is no financial incentive for them to assist users of other printer brands.

Peter
Sure and I get where you're coming from, but that's the beauty of being an open source project. The only difficulty comes when the project maintainers nix or delay accepting changes that don't necessarily benefit the printers their benefactor company makes. I got my change into the project pretty quickly, and even had feedback on changes they thought were reasonable (and I agreed with), so there was some back and forth and further development along the way.

Looks to me like they just want a quality slicer regardless of printer, and if other folks are willing to do the work for other printers they're happy to take it onboard.

pieter.b
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:09 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:06 pm

If you press the 'download beta' button on the cura website, the prusa mk2 is included. Printing with it right now.

evan.c
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 pm

pieter.b wrote:If you press the 'download beta' button on the cura website, the prusa mk2 is included. Printing with it right now.
Cool! Sounds like they cut another release that has my pull-request in it. That'll certainly make things easier :D

jaime.v
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:51 am
Contact: Send private message

Re: Cura print settings

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:57 am

PJR wrote: I think the point I was trying to make is that Cura is designed to be used with one particular make of printer and the comments I have seen on their forums regarding other printer makers seem to imply that the devs there have no interest in the interaction with those other makes. And from their point I would also agree that there is no financial incentive for them to assist users of other printer brands.
One of the main Cura dev's here. I'd like to clarify this a bit more. Most of the work done on Cura (read 95%>) is paid for by Ultimaker, so that also means that 95% of the stuff done with Cura will be decided upon by Ultimaker. That does not mean that we don't have any interest how other printers work with Cura. We do, but we just can't put a whole lot of time in it.

There is some motivation for Ultimaker to have as many printers in there as possible, because more printers means more users and more users tend to mean more people willing to develop for it. As a result we do review all pull requests we get and answer questions regarding development.

Return to “Original Prusa i3 MK2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], henrik.w, luka.n4, wsaunders2 and 11 guests