jltx

Do you want your filament sensor to work with any color, even clear?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 am

I added a new option to Skelestruder to enable the Prusa laser filament sensor to correctly detect movement of any color filament: opaque, clear, translucent, glittery, etc. Check it out.
Last edited by jltx on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
You want parts? I got MK3 parts https://www.thingiverse.com/jltx/designs

martin.w15
Topics answered: 9

Re: Do you want your filament sensor to work with any color, even clear?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 am

Jltx,

Could you possibly separate out the filament sensor options/changes so that those of us using other extruder designs can try and integrate it. Especially into the stock Prusa design. :)

Regards,
Martin

david.f42
Topics answered: 4

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 am

jltx wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 am
I added a new option to Skelestruder to enable the filament sensor to correctly detect movement of any color filament: opaque, clear, translucent, glittery, etc. Check it out.
First,, the answer to your title question is: YES!

However, aside from your mentioning that it's a laser based sensor (direct or indirect), I didn't see any actual details as to which one exactly at the link you provided.

ClassicGOD
Topics answered: 3

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:54 am

david.f42 wrote:
However, aside from your mentioning that it's a laser based sensor (direct or indirect), I didn't see any actual details as to which one exactly at the link you provided.
While it doesn't mention it directly after reading assembly instructions it looks like it comes down to sensor chamber design.
Douglas Adams wrote:If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

david.f42
Topics answered: 4

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am

ClassicGOD wrote:
david.f42 wrote:
While it doesn't mention it directly after reading assembly instructions it looks like it comes down to sensor chamber design.
So, are you saying we use the existing Prusa filament sensor, but that the OP's chamber design allows it to work correctly on all the filament types known to befuddle the MK3? Well, that would certainly be nice. For some reason I thought the OP was also proposing the use of a different sensor, but exactly what it was I could not determine.

jltx

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am

david.f42 wrote:
ClassicGOD wrote:
david.f42 wrote:
So, are you saying we use the existing Prusa filament sensor, but that the OP's chamber design allows it to work correctly on all the filament types known to befuddle the MK3? Well, that would certainly be nice. For some reason I thought the OP was also proposing the use of a different sensor, but exactly what it was I could not determine.
No, same exact sensor. New part design. Parts are on the link. I need to update the assembly instructions. Hopefully today.

jltx

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 pm

martin.w15 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 am
Jltx,

Could you possibly separate out the filament sensor options/changes so that those of us using other extruder designs can try and integrate it. Especially into the stock Prusa design. :)

Regards,
Martin
Yes, I think this can be added to the stock one. I will take a look. But you would lose all the other great benefits of skelestruder. :D

ClassicGOD
Topics answered: 3

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:42 pm

david.f42 wrote:
Looks like the sensor in the new part is at an angle to the filament path (not perpendicular like in stock design). If it works it is a brilliant idea.
Douglas Adams wrote:If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

martin.w15
Topics answered: 9

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Yeh it looks like it is bouncing the laser on the printed part to the filament. When there is filament opaque ones will scatter the light same as the Prusa design however the clever part is it uses the translucent and transparent filaments as a lens to get the scattering that way if I am seeing how it works correctly. So with no filament a lot of light is reflected back to the sensor with filament it is a lot less.

Regards,
Martin

jltx

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:34 pm

martin.w15 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm
Yeh it looks like it is bouncing the laser on the printed part to the filament. When there is filament opaque ones will scatter the light same as the Prusa design however the clever part is it uses the translucent and transparent filaments as a lens to get the scattering that way if I am seeing how it works correctly. So with no filament a lot of light is reflected back to the sensor with filament it is a lot less.

Regards,
Martin
no, I don't think so from reading spec. It is IR laser, 850nm. There is one extra piece which is a small bearing the acts as uniform surface. Simple! Does require a small FW change too, but dirt simple.

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”