carter.r

Extruder Tension Help for Printing Flexible Filament

Thu May 17, 2018 9:26 pm

I have the MK3 Assembled Unit and have printed about 4 parts so far with everything as is with the stock gray PLA. Everything came out great.

Now I'm trying to print some 3D Solutech Flexible Filament, prints at 200-220C and is TPE and the filament is very flexible.

I'm printing a gasket for the Spannerhands V4 spool enclosure. Everything prints OK until about the 5-8 layer. I'm not watching the entire time so I'm guessing. It seems to do alright for about 30 minutes then the filament starts coming out the side of the extruder.

I've been using the stock setting in Slic3r Prusa Edition for Flexible filament and only changing the temp to 215C.

It failed the same way both times, but the second time I loosened the extruder tension screws as suggested by Prusa Material Guide. That didn't help. Unless I don't have it loose enough.

Just to mention when I went to loosen the extruder tension screws they already seemed very loose. I can't find anywhere instructions for the MK3 on how to accurately adjust those, nor can I find a guide to figure that out.

Any help would be appreciated.

joan.t
Topics answered: 14

Re: Extruder Tension Help for Printing Flexible Filament

Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi Carter,
with no filament in the printer, I screw the tension screws in, until they just touch the springs and leave it at that

when the filament is inserted, it parts the Bondtech gears and increases the tension just right...

the ends of the screws are just about level with the outer surface of the filament trap door, on the right hand side

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

carter.r

Fri May 18, 2018 3:41 am

Thanks. I read that when you posted that in another thread. I did that and the flexible filament spilled out still. Any other suggestions? I even cut the speed and set it all to 30mm/s.

PJR
Topics answered: 19

Fri May 18, 2018 7:54 am

carter.r wrote:
I even cut the speed and set it all to 30mm/s.
Way too fast for a very flexible filament. Richard will probably be along soon to tell you to use 15mm/s ;)

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

richard.l
Pro
Pro
Topics answered: 1

Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

carter.r wrote:
I even cut the speed and set it all to 30mm/s.
Peter is correct, that is way too fast. Max should be 20mm/s but I get the best results at 15mm/s.

Return to “User mods - OctoPrint, enclosures, nozzles, ...”