jorgen.r

First time printing with petg, problems.

Mar 08, 2018 9:15 am

hello

So its my first time printing with petg, and i read in the handbook to use window cleaner to clean the bed. I have done it but my first layers comes out really bad, i have also change the live z a bit(maybe wrong). but im too noob to figure out myself, hopefully someone can help. I put some picture below so you can see.

https://imgur.com/a/nRjI6
https://imgur.com/a/i4PUR
https://imgur.com/a/lZ6uA
https://imgur.com/a/t6pxT
https://imgur.com/a/9KeF6

Thanks in advance

stahlfabrik
Topics answered: 1

Re: First time printing with petg, problems.

Mar 08, 2018 11:14 am

First layer is too high. That could solve the problems IMHO

rui.v

Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am

stahlfabrik wrote:
Hello, you mean temperature or extruder speed?

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 44

Mar 08, 2018 11:20 am

live Z height, too small a negative number

try reducing extrusion multiplier to say .95

try reducing first layer speed.

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

jorgen.r

Mar 08, 2018 11:21 am

stahlfabrik wrote:
i try that, thanks. should the nozzle be lower or higher than a good first layer with pla?

stahlfabrik

Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

rui.v wrote:
stahlfabrik wrote:
I mean "live adjust z" - the nozzle is too high. You see that by the split lines of your layer that SHOULD be welded together. There would weld if the material would be more squished. You must dial "live adjust Z" to more negative value. E.g from -0.820. to maybe -0.840. Of course I make these numbers just up.

Speed is also a factor IMHO. I did not print much PETG yet but reducing speed on the first layer increased my chances of getting the PETG to stick to the bed.

stahlfabrik

Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am

jorgen.r wrote:
Mar 08, 2018 11:21 am
stahlfabrik wrote:
i try that, thanks. should the nozzle be lower or higher than a good first layer with pla?
Don't get me started:-) (aka. see my struggles to hunt down the problems I experience in other threads)

I guess in a perfect, bug free printer the live adjust z value should be exactly the same. Because in a manual bed leveling process the thickness of a sheet of paper is what you use to dial in your nozzle hight. Sadly, the PINDA currently makes live hard...

rui.v

Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm

stahlfabrik wrote:
Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am
rui.v wrote:
stahlfabrik wrote:
I mean "live adjust z" - the nozzle is too high. You see that by the split lines of your layer that SHOULD be welded together. There would weld if the material would be more squished. You must dial "live adjust Z" to more negative value. E.g from -0.820. to maybe -0.840. Of course I make these numbers just up.

Speed is also a factor IMHO. I did not print much PETG yet but reducing speed on the first layer increased my chances of getting the PETG to stick to the bed.
Ah.. thanks stahlfabrik for that info, reason I asked cause I've also be experiencing petg issues but filament starts to stick to the sides of the nozzle and makes peaks and valleys on the layers. I placed a E3d sock on the block before the first print so clean up was easy I got temp to high maybe 250 where it's at. The rest is standard on generic filament settings on Prusa slic3r.

peter.l22
Topics answered: 4

Mar 08, 2018 5:12 pm

stahlfabrik wrote:
I guess in a perfect, bug free printer the live adjust z value should be exactly the same. Because in a manual bed leveling process the thickness of a sheet of paper is what you use to dial in your nozzle hight. Sadly, the PINDA currently makes live hard...
No, not really. Different materials have different properties. PLA tends to be more forgiving of sloppiness with the Live Z than PETG, and I've found that PETG tends to like a slightly higher bed than PLA.

There will never be a day when you can change materials and not have to make any other changes. The best we can hope for is that the required changes will all be preset somehow and ready to go. But we're still a ways from that, too.

stahlfabrik

Mar 08, 2018 9:20 pm

peter.l22 wrote:
Mar 08, 2018 5:12 pm
stahlfabrik wrote:
No, not really. Different materials have different properties. PLA tends to be more forgiving of sloppiness with the Live Z than PETG, and I've found that PETG tends to like a slightly higher bed than PLA.

There will never be a day when you can change materials and not have to make any other changes. The best we can hope for is that the required changes will all be preset somehow and ready to go. But we're still a ways from that, too.
Hi Peter,

to be honest I just have the experience of the MK3 and its PINDA probe is software wise buggy. So I could not collect the experience of having a manual calibrate bed. Maybe my expectations of manual bed leveling (which does not change from centigrade to centigrade) are too romantic:-)

We will see how the MK3 performs when the bug is fixed and the temperature calibration can be fine tuned... soon...

Return to “Others (Archive)”