randolph.l
Answers: 4

MK3S update parts and process.

Feb 13, 2019 9:34 pm

ok if you decide to update you can either get the $20 set of parts from the PRUSA store
https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/printer-upg ... e-kit.html
and the instructions at https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/5.+E-a ... 55?lang=en will cover those parts for rbuilding your extruder/X carridge

looking through the other chapters there seems to be a new Y axis tensioner adjustment clamp and process
https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/2.+Y-a ... 46?lang=en
I dont see anything about replacing them and these 2 parts dont seem to be part of the $20 set of parts

Comments? a set of instructions that start with an assembled MK3 take you through disassembly as far as you need to go and them instruct you on assembling with the new MLK3S parts would be useful I think

christopher.e8

Re: MK3S update parts and process.

Feb 13, 2019 11:00 pm

I looked through the assembly manual for the MK3S y-axis, and I would expect the upgrade would be just a couple M3 screws and nuts and a couple printed parts. The $20 option doesn't include the printed parts, and I haven't looked at the provided files to see if they are included there or not.

So, if the $20 upgrade kit includes parts for the new y-axis tensioner, I would expect them to be hidden in the bag of hardware, not something to specifically mention (unlike the new filament sensor which is).

I agree a manual with the disassembly required would be nice. Hopefully it is in process and just going through the last steps in the editing process.

tim.m30
Answers: 9

Feb 14, 2019 5:13 am

I just ordered the full upgrade kit (with printed parts because PETG and I don't get along) and after reading the MK3S kit manual I presume the Y-Axis tensioner change is in some ways a downgrade: it places the adjustment well under the moving bed where you can't see the screw you need to adjust. I'll probably pass on that change and just install the extruder portion concerning the new filament sensor.

christopher.e8

Feb 14, 2019 5:30 am

tim.m30 wrote:
Feb 14, 2019 5:13 am
I just ordered the full upgrade kit (with printed parts because PETG and I don't get along) and after reading the MK3S kit manual I presume the Y-Axis tensioner change is in some ways a downgrade: it places the adjustment well under the moving bed where you can't see the screw you need to adjust. I'll probably pass on that change and just install the extruder portion concerning the new filament sensor.
That's a tempting idea. Though, I never liked the way the MK3 tensions the belt by not snugging the idler mount to the frame. There are some other options on thingiverse. I think this one is my favorite, but since you have to reach under the frame to access the tensioner, unless you've moved the display it is in the way.

zoltan.f2
Answers: 1

Feb 14, 2019 7:48 am

I printed out the MK3>MK3S upgrade parts and it seems that the Y belt tensioner is not a part of this upgrade (listed here https://www.prusa3d.com/prusa-i3-printable-parts/ under Original Prusa i3 MK3S upgrade).

You can print the Y tensioner from the full MK3S parts, not sure there are enough spare parts to assemble it from the original MK3 kit. I still think it's an upgrade on the idler hanging from two screws from the frame. I wonder if you could adjust it from bellow, if you put the printer on it's side.

jonnieZG

Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am

zoltan.f2 wrote:
Feb 14, 2019 7:48 am
You can print the Y tensioner from the full MK3S parts, not sure there are enough spare parts to assemble it from the original MK3 kit.
Yes, I have too noticed these two parts to be missing from the upgrade batch. You can always buy the extra screws at any local hardware store. These really don't have to be Prusa branded.

BTW, I've printed them at 40% Gyroid infill for extra strength, even though these two models have internal structure that ensures additional strength.

christopher.e8

Feb 14, 2019 11:42 pm

jonnieZG wrote:
Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am
You can always buy the extra screws at any local hardware store.
Not necessarily true here in the Great USA, Land of Imperial Units. But, for us USAians we have McMaster which has M3 machine screws available in more variations that I know what to do with. Hex and Nyloc nuts are also available in M3 size. Unfortunately, they don't carry M3 square nuts, the smallest they carry is M4. But, I've seen someone mention somewhere that the M3 square nuts can be found at Amazon.

vintagepc

Feb 15, 2019 12:16 am

christopher.e8 wrote:
I looked through the assembly manual for the MK3S y-axis, and I would expect the upgrade would be just a couple M3 screws and nuts and a couple printed parts.
FWIW the $20 option DOES come with 300g filament for part printing, so it's not as bad of a deal as it initially sounds for a bearing, sensor, wire, and some magnets.

christopher.e8

Feb 15, 2019 12:59 am

vintagepc wrote:
Feb 15, 2019 12:16 am
christopher.e8 wrote:
I looked through the assembly manual for the MK3S y-axis, and I would expect the upgrade would be just a couple M3 screws and nuts and a couple printed parts.
FWIW the $20 option DOES come with 300g filament for part printing, so it's not as bad of a deal as it initially sounds for a bearing, sensor, wire, and some magnets.
Sorry, I was not clear. I was referring to the y-axis portion of the upgrade, ignoring the entirety of the extruder. I'm not so sure now since the stl files for the y-axis tensioner isn't part of the MK3S upgrade files. Time will tell. ;-)

doa

Feb 15, 2019 6:02 am

Do I understand correctly that the new upgrade kit is basically only the new filament sensor? Rest of it is printed parts...

I don’t get it ... why do I have to buy new sensor for 20eur to make my printer detect filament, when it was supposed to do it when i bought the original MK3?

Why this is called an upgrade and not a service program? I would expect everyone gettting free filament sensor as a replacement for that laser sensor (which is NOT WORKING FROM THE BEGINNING!) we all have in our printers.

This is sad ...

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”