simone.f

PLA Filament problem - extruder stops extruding filament

Aug 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Hello to all,

I'm testing a new PLA filament (SunTop - PLA Silk).
I've printed different tree-frogs but every time, on different moments, the extruder stops to extruding filament.
Unloading the filament, it doesn't come out. I need to open the extruder from the side, cut the filament and then remove it.
The end of the filament gets fat and it doesn't pass in the teflon tube. So the filament gets maybe ripped off and the extruder stops to print.
Here some pictures:

Two frogs not competed due the extruder stopped to print:
frog.JPG
frog.JPG (505.44 KiB) Viewed 319 times
The end of the filament after taking it out from the extruder:
filament01.JPG
filament01.JPG (437.99 KiB) Viewed 319 times
filament02.JPG
filament02.JPG (357.94 KiB) Viewed 319 times
You can notice the end is bigger.

This PLA is printed first at 210°C (60 bed), then I've tried it at 200 - 40 as well.
At 200°C (the frog on the left) the surface is even cleaner.
Then I've used the SAME gcode to print the frog with a different PLA (other brand) and it worked... so the problem is on the filament.

Could it be because the room is too hot?
The printer is in a enclosure. Well, actually the enclosure door is open, but in the room, there are more or less 30-31°C, it's hot!

Thanks for the support!

Simon

bobstro
Topics answered: 11

Re: PLA Filament problem - extruder stops extruding filament

Aug 02, 2018 1:45 pm

simone.f wrote:
[...] Could it be because the room is too hot?
The printer is in a enclosure. Well, actually the enclosure door is open, but in the room, there are more or less 30-31°C, it's hot!
Heat will certainly add to the heat problems! A lot of the recent posts coincide with the hot summer months and/or enclosure use. Prusa has issued an extruder design that is intended to improve cooling, but even that will have limits. An open enclosure door might not be enough to allow airflow. You could try adding cooling or printing the new extruder parts, but it does sound like using another filament will work for you.

The fails seem to happen most frequently at detail areas with lots of retractions. Retractions add to the extruder motor works, which generates heat, which can creep into the extruder mechanism. You could try minimizing the retractions or slowing down if you are using the default Prusa speeds for infill.

simone.f

Aug 02, 2018 2:15 pm

bobstro wrote:
Aug 02, 2018 1:45 pm
simone.f wrote:
[...] Could it be because the room is too hot?
Heat will certainly add to the heat problems! A lot of the recent posts coincide with the hot summer months and/or enclosure use. Prusa has issued an extruder design that is intended to improve cooling, but even that will have limits. An open enclosure door might not be enough to allow airflow. You could try adding cooling or printing the new extruder parts, but it does sound like using another filament will work for you.

The fails seem to happen most frequently at detail areas with lots of retractions. Retractions add to the extruder motor works, which generates heat, which can creep into the extruder mechanism. You could try minimizing the retractions or slowing down if you are using the default Prusa speeds for infill.
Hello!
I've downgraded all speeds to 40mm/s as descrived in product specs.
Initially I was thinking the problem was at the teflon tube heigth, but, looking the filament near, I've noticed the hobb-goblin have marked the filament for approx 7,5cm, it means, the filament was pushed down until the extruder. The UNLOAD is not working, maybe, because, as soon the end of the filament reaches the hobb-goblin during unload, it doesn't pass through. So I need to open the right side, cut the filament, remove it and then I'm able to unload it.
I've noticed in addiction that during the print, as soon the extruder stops to extrude, the nema motor step which pushes the filament down, seems is jumping steps, like it's skipping or sliding on the filament...
Maybe always a temperature problem? :-( The extruder is clean, because other filament works!

Simon

simone.f

Aug 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Here the complete filament I've cutted to remove it from the extruder:
filament03.JPG
filament03.JPG (294.91 KiB) Viewed 306 times
In fact the most left part of the filament is much more grinded, the hobb-goblin has scratched it until I've stopped the print.

Simon

BillCampbell
Topics answered: 6

Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

What printer are you using?

I am tempted to say slacken the tension on the extruder and increase temperature. Both.
Bill
Tagaytay City, Philippines
Founder member of Philippines Prusa Printer Owners FB Group
Sponsor Pillars of God Academy in Bacoor

simone.f

Aug 03, 2018 7:18 am

BillCampbell wrote:
Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm
What printer are you using?

I am tempted to say slacken the tension on the extruder and increase temperature. Both.
I'm using MK3. I've printed the R3 parts, maybe, if it's a temperature problem, I'll redice it so... and slacken the tension? I would think that if the filament is not able to pass, the tension should increased, the hobb-goblin should push with more force on it, not?

Thanks, Simon

PJR
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 20

Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am

simone.f wrote:
I'm using MK3.
MODERATOR NOTE: This topic was originally posted in the Mk2 forum.

Unfortunately, if you post Mk3 problems in the Mk2 forum, you can waste everyone's time because they are different printers with possibly different solutions.

I will move this post the the correct forum.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

simone.f

Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am

PJR wrote:
Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am
simone.f wrote:
I'm using MK3.
MODERATOR NOTE: This topic was originally posted in the Mk2 forum.

Unfortunately, if you post Mk3 problems in the Mk2 forum, you can waste everyone's time because they are different printers with possibly different solutions.

I will move this post the the correct forum.

Peter
OF COURSE!
I was sure I've posted it on the MK3 forum, my fault, sorry.
Thanks Peter.

Simon

Timothy

Aug 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Any update?

I've been having this same problem for almost a month now (MK3). Seems to only happen with PLA - I've got three different spools that it happens to. I don't see this issue at all with PETG, so it isn't a bad spool or anything. I printed off the new extruder body that is supposed to improve cooling, but no dice. I've tried several different tensions on the gears ranging from set according to instruction, barely engaged, and extremely tight. Failures at each.

I've been seeing this issue pop up with multiple users, so it would be nice if we can get some kind of official response on it, possibly an investigation.

simone.f

Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Actually no news, I'm planning to try the R3 parts update next week.
Meanwhile, GREAT avatar, I love Daft Punk :-D

Return to “How do I print this? (Printing help)”