pasqual.k

Printing over USB

Nov 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Hey,

I have a question, how can i print directly over usb without any program or manual help?

Thank you for your help

john.h68

Re: Printing over USB

Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

It is not recommended. I don’t know why.

RetireeJay
Answers: 2

Nov 11, 2018 1:37 am

When you print over USB (which I do), you can't send the entire body of G-code to the printer all at once. It doesn't have enough memory to hold even the code for a tiny print. So you use a program like Prusa Control or Repetier or Pronterface or any of several other programs that reside on your computer and send lines of G-code using a "handshake" protocol so that the printer indicates it's ready for the next line of code. A few lines are "buffered" in the printer, but not many. I guess if you have a very configurable terminal emulator you could make it work that way, but the dedicated programs give you huge advantages in being able to "see" the state of the printer, the print's progress, and exert some control - even during the print.

Many people use a RPi running Octoprint; the RPi can handle large G-code files. I don't have this system, but I think it actually uses the USB port on the printer's board to send G-code to the printer; the RPi just releases your computer from any responsibility during the print.

By the way, the USB port on most 3D printers is configured to be used like a serial COM port.

Also, you can copy your G-code file to an SD memory card and plug that into your printer; that doesn't use the USB port.

randolph.l
Answers: 3

Nov 11, 2018 2:54 am

also thing like update notices from microsoft will interrupt a print session as will things like screen savers and other OS interrupts they shut down the print if your computer sleeps. I ran my big delta printer this way when I first built it 4 years ago... I quickly decided that the SD card system was a better one but I keep meaning to looking into the Toshiba FlashAir SD wifi thing.

RetireeJay
Answers: 2

Nov 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Windows problems? I guess it depends on some settings. I have Windows updates set to "inform me but don't install until I say so" and Windows "sleep" is not turned on. The screen is set to go to black (no screen saver) after an hour. With these settings, I have completed a 28 hour print with no computer-generated problems. I love my USB connection for the control it gives me.

Return to “Hardware, firmware and software help”