florian.d9

suddenly no more printing

Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Hello All

I have a prusa i3 mk3 since April and been using it a lot in this time. it was an assembled printer, I didn't assemble it myself.

now after 45 days of printing time, it suddenly wont print anymore.

when I start a print, it gets an error and says I should check the axes., but I don't know what I should check I installed the newest firmware and then went back to two older versions, but it didn't change anything.

I'm starting to lose my sanity, as I cant find anything that is wrong with the printer, so please help me!

best regards
Florian

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 51

Re: suddenly no more printing

Oct 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi Florian,

do the axes all home properly?
often one of the axes gets a bit stiff and causes this issue, maybe add some lube,,,

if the LED on, on the Pinda when the pinda is not near the buildplate? does it go off when you put metal against the end of the PINDA?

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

neil.k2

Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Might be worth running the setup wizard if you have played with firmware. Go to the LCD menu, find calibration and run 'wizard'. Follow the prompts, this may or may not succeed, but it will tell you why it fails if it does.

See here also > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-lrRbU124&vl=en

florian.d9

Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm

joan.t wrote:
do the axes all home properly?
often one of the axes gets a bit stiff and causes this issue, maybe add some lube,,,
they all home propely, and I did lube them, even tho they don't seem to be stiff at all.
joan.t wrote:
if the LED on, on the Pinda when the pinda is not near the buildplate? does it go off when you put metal against the end of the PINDA?
the led is on, and and goes off when i put metal under it.
neil.k2 wrote: Might be worth running the setup wizard if you have played with firmware. Go to the LCD menu, find calibration and run 'wizard'. Follow the prompts, this may or may not succeed, but it will tell you why it fails if it does.

See here also > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-lrRbU124&vl=en
i ran the wizard but it does not finish. it runs the selfcheck properly and then homes, when calibrating z it stops and says I should check axes.

neil.k2

Oct 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Then one of your Z axis steppers probably isn't moving - can you rotate the threaded rods with your fingers - it shouldn't take much force, they should feel the same. If you can do this and they are the same check the connections on the controller board.

Go here if you need to see where things fit - https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/8.+Ele ... 23?lang=en

randolph.l

Oct 13, 2018 8:55 pm

neil.k2 wrote:
Then one of your Z axis steppers probably isn't moving - can you rotate the threaded rods with your fingers - it shouldn't take much force, they should feel the same. If you can do this and they are the same check the connections on the controller board.

Go here if you need to see where things fit - https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/8.+Ele ... 23?lang=en
good advice and if you were a bit tired or you had misplaced your glasses the E on the extruder connector might have looked like a Z and so those connectors could have been mixed up. when I built my Delta I used hand written tags on everything I found I had swapped one of the tower connections with that of the extruder.... felt rather dumb... but it did get me to change from +1 reading glasses to +2.... I should have wondered why I was reading the newspaper with my arms fully extended...
Cheers
R

florian.d9

Oct 14, 2018 6:32 am

neil.k2 wrote:

they do move, and I cant feel a difference in force required to rotate them. I did check the connenctions too and the seem to be fine. I also checked the PINDA probe yesterday as I had a feeling that the probe might be bad.
randolph.l wrote:
neil.k2 wrote:

good advice and if you were a bit tired or you had misplaced your glasses the E on the extruder connector might have looked like a Z and so those connectors could have been mixed up. when I built my Delta I used hand written tags on everything I found I had swapped one of the tower connections with that of the extruder.... felt rather dumb... but it did get me to change from +1 reading glasses to +2.... I should have wondered why I was reading the newspaper with my arms fully extended...
Cheers
R
I got it assembled and have 45 days of printing time on it, so I dont thing the stepper connections are switched ;)

I made a video when running z calibration:

neil.k2

Oct 14, 2018 9:56 am

Something in the top heights it isn't liking, it should get all the way to the top, that's a right odd noise too when it does reach the top, it should come all the way down when calibrating Z and do the reference heights so it is something at the top of that travel it isn't liking - on mine the two bolts on each X carriage threaded insert actually touch the top Z supports, are yours?.

Nothing behind is fouling is it - like a tie wrap on the hot end vs the frame ?

djspathis

Oct 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Just a thought. If one Z axis feels more stiff than the other I would check the axis cap on that motor. It might have become excessively tight somehow. I would loosen it and retry the calibration. Another possibility would be that the z axis threaded nut has picked up some debris. I'm not saying either of these is your issue for certain just some possibilities to consider.
DJ
DJ

florian.d9

Oct 14, 2018 7:43 pm

thanks for your help!

when running a calibration to check if a ziptie touches somewhere I noticed that the pindaprobe does blink during homing in x direction. I contacted the support and they are sending me a new pinda probe.

thanks for your help, I wouldn't have noticed it if it werent for your questions!

Return to “Hardware, firmware and software help”