corey.d3
Topics answered: 1

Where's the hype for the new MMU 2.0?

Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I've been noticing that none of the major YouTubers have posted an initial thoughts / printing video with the new MMU 2.0 yet. That concerns me because Joel (3d Printing Nerd), Angus (Makers Muse), Tom (Tom), and Joe (3d Maker Noob) have been completely silent about it since units started shipping to customers. I haven't seen that many posts in general for the MMU 2.0 yet either.

Joel posted on Instagram today marketing the Palette + with the MK3....

Something is amiss here and I just can't put my finger on it yet. Perhaps everyone is waiting to endorse it because of the success of the first version of the MMU? (sarcasm implied there)

What're your thoughts? Am I reading too much into not seeing many positive responses yet? Does anyone else think it's odd to not see any videos from the major Prusa supporters?

neal.w2

Re: Where's the hype for the new MMU 2.0?

Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Maybe they are all still remodeling to accommodate the MMU2.0. I mean that is a lot of back yard space you have to come up with for the printer.

Neal

bobstro
Topics answered: 16

Sep 12, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm assuming they're taking the time to learn and master it before blurting out with premature opinions. Perhaps lessons learned from past experience? Most of those 'tubers try to keep things impartial, so while they don't want to be overly pro-manufacturer, it's also not fair to be overly negative and anti-manufacturer if you haven't really checked the product out. Given the complexity of MMU2 and the change to tools & practices required, I'd expect a proper review video to take a long time to put together.

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 44

Sep 12, 2018 5:16 pm

perhaps the people who have them, at the moment are actually paying customers...

I understand Prusa already have over 8500 orders... perhaps they are delaying the youtubers, until they have got the orders down a bit!

Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

corey.d3

Sep 12, 2018 5:27 pm

joan.t wrote:
Sep 12, 2018 5:16 pm
perhaps the people who have them, at the moment are actually paying customers...

I understand Prusa already have over 8500 orders... perhaps they are delaying the youtubers, until they have got the orders down a bit!

Joan
If anything the would get them out to the YouTubers out first so they could show it off and drive more sales.

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 44

Sep 12, 2018 6:36 pm

having suffered nearly a year's delay to get this far, they may not be too keen, to bump the popularity of this product.
bearing in mind the maker fair often brings new releases!
there may be a new toy, on the way!

Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

PJR
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 21

Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm

I was told that there were over 10,000 orders and that 1,000 were shipped in the first few days after release.

It really will be interesting to get feedback from those receiving freebies, but I am much more interested in regular user feedback.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

peter.l22
Topics answered: 4

Sep 12, 2018 7:26 pm

corey.d3 wrote:
Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm
I've been noticing that none of the major YouTubers have posted an initial thoughts / printing video with the new MMU 2.0 yet. That concerns me because Joel (3d Printing Nerd), Angus (Makers Muse), Tom (Tom), and Joe (3d Maker Noob) have been completely silent about it since units started shipping to customers. I haven't seen that many posts in general for the MMU 2.0 yet either.
I'm going to guess that Prusa isn't including YouTubers in its marketing budget for the MMU (yet?).

To be honest, I don't pay much attention to those guys. Even for the ones which aren't straight-up paid promotions, there's not that much difference between sending someone a free printer for review and a paid promotion. Not that there's anything wrong with doing paid promotions, even Internet Famous people have to buy groceries.

kim storm.n

Sep 12, 2018 8:28 pm

I got the Mmu 2.0 last friday and spend the weekend assembling it ,made the first dual color print monday
(a small name plate for keys i designed myself) just to test if it worked ,it did :-) ,but
i had to dismantle the extruder to update the ptfe sleeve to the one prusa had put in the package ,
because it has an inner diameter of 1.85mm instead of the normal one of 2.0mm ,that helps
avoid filament jamming ,so the second nameplate was perfect with white and black color ,and
it is very easy to adjust the purge block volume in slic3r :-) .
I filmed the whole assembling of the Mmu 2.0 ,but i have just not had the time to edited it so
it will be awhile before i can put it on YT .
Only downside to the Mmu 2.0 so far is the loading/unloading of the filament ,it takes forever :-( ,
but there is an option to adjust this ,im just not going to play with it at the moment .

khalil.n

Sep 12, 2018 9:10 pm

I think we'll see some video's on the new mmu2 soon. The build is straight forward. But getting it tuned well is not easy (in my novice experience) Good out of box experience is heavily dependent on the filament used.

Either they haven't received test units yet or are waiting till they get more experience with it.
joan.t wrote: having suffered nearly a year's delay to get this far, they may not be too keen, to bump the popularity of this product.
bearing in mind the maker fair often brings new releases!
there may be a new toy, on the way!
Joan
Ordered 10/27/17
Received 09/04/2018
313 days
313 days can be converted to one of these units:

27,043,200 seconds
450,720 minutes
7512 hours
313 days
44 weeks and 5 days
85.75% of a common year (365 days)

I certainly hope that after waiting all that time there isnt a new better MMU, released at NYC maker fair.

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”