nikolai.r
Topics answered: 2

Re: Electronics in or out the Enclosure?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm

This is something you have to try. To heat up the whole thing with MK2/MK3 with 100C heat bed over 50C should be pretty hard.
Just keep in mind that you could get a heat creep with some filaments if it's too hot in your enclosure. Maybe think about some kind of regulated air ventilation in case you need it.
I had no issues with ABS but with high temp PLA (245C).

keith.m10

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm

I know the old version of the Mini Rambo board with the older driver chips had thermal protection that would start dropping steps if they got too hot(reduced torque drive). I am not sure what the new driver chips have for thermal settings. But if you start seeing dropped steps you will need to cool the electronics.

stephan.e

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:45 pm

OK thank you for the help. In the moment I am thinking of building the enclosure without Styrofoam and let the electronics inside. I hope that's enough for ABS.

ben.c5

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Wires are not long enough to run stock cable outside of frame

sergey.s4

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Mk3 tmc2130 drivers are temp protected.
Not sure about bed and extruder drivers.

For abs printing, a simple passive inclosure is enough. I dont think you can do any damage with passive enclosure.
With heated enclosure you will have problems with electronics and extroder cooling, will need watercooling.

I see some discoloration on my extruder printed parts, probably due to heat. Will be printing all parts with more heat resistant matterials.

stephan.e

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm

OK, thanks!
Are at least the flat cables of the display long enough to put it outside?

stephan.e

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 am

@Sergey.S4 do you have a Mk3 or an older model? Of which material will you print the more heat resistant parts? Isn't PETG enough?
How warm is your enclosure?

I only want to build a passive enclosure, but instead of thin acrylic walls I will use Styrofoam.

andrew.w35

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:16 am

I built a frame out of wood and used foam panels for 3 side. I will be putting a plexiglass door on the front. I was going to see how hot it got... (still waiting for my MK3)... before I decide to figure out some either passive top to bottom venting along the PSU and Einsy board... or fan driven.

A conversation with support said the electronics should be kept at no more than 40C\104F but i'm guessing they are being conservative.
enclosure.jpg
enclosure.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 149 times
enclosureB.jpg
enclosureB.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 149 times

stephan.e

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:54 am

Hey Andrew,
nice enclosure! I will try it like you did, but my frame will be an Ikea-LACK-table.
I hope I can handle the temperature.

When did you order your Mk3? Maybe you get yours before I receive my own. So maybe I can profit from your experience.

sergey.s4

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:13 pm

stephan.e wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 am
@Sergey.S4 do you have a Mk3 or an older model? Of which material will you print the more heat resistant parts? Isn't PETG enough?
How warm is your enclosure?

I only want to build a passive enclosure, but instead of thin acrylic walls I will use Styrofoam.
using mk2s .
i didn't print the extruder in different material yet , as it is still working , which is good enough for me .
if i'll need to print it in different material , i would use one of the fiber filled nylons or polycarbonate .
i might be going full water cooled extruder in the future to print at up to 400c with heated chamber (to print pie - ultem , ppsu and maybe peek)

i've heard of new filament from TreeD filaments (one of my favorite for strong filaments) that can be used at 150c with no issues , and with great mechanical strength . if that's true , i might delay my watercooling plans :)

i use glass and polycarbonate panels for my passive enclosure . i didn't measure the temp inside , but i dont think it can go any higher then 60c .currently i'm rebuilding the enclosure for active heating by using some unused build plates that i have . 2 heated build plates on the sides , and one on top should make the enclosure pretty hot .heated build plates are not the most effective heaters , but hey , that's what i got .

Return to “Improvements (Archive)”