robert.g14

Re: Multi Material Upgrade working well

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 am

There are so many negative postings about the MMU that I thought I would post my relatively positive experience.

I have been using 3D printers almost daily for 6 years, and I can well understand the frustration of those for whom the MMU has proved a nightmare. There are simply too many variables to make it easy to give advice remotely.

With the MMU I think there are a number of vital variables which can be controlled....

1 ensure you are using filament which you KNOW prints well. The MMU will not cure filament problems and I have bought filament which has refused to print correctly after a whole days trying.
2 ensure a friction free path through the multiplexer for all four filaments. Remove it and push filament through. If it binds it won’t work.
3 check the pressure on the Drive gears, too little or too much and they will,slip and click. Use a gauge such as syrene strips to make them all the same.
4 start by printing a single colour with each filament, if this works continue, if it doesn’t find out why one or more don’t work
5 try different temperature
6 try a print with four small blocks, one of each colour. This will check out correct filament changing.

Finally I do feel,for,those of you having problems. Nothing worse than paying for something which is not working, but you do need to be methodical in trying to resolve things.

robert.g14

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 am

Sorry! My apologies to those who have sent me private messages (as I requested) for details and .stl files of my spool holder. I have only just seen these and will post more details and where I have put them in the next few days. I have the Keighley Model Railway Exhibition this weekend where I am demonstrating what can be done with 3D printers in railway modelling, so it may be early next week before I have time to put them somewhere.
Bob

claire.k

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 am

Thank Robert for the advises. It reassures (me and other) .
And are you order the 2.5 kit for MMU / MK2S ?

robert.g14

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:58 am

Claire, I am using the MM kit with a Mk2s. All working perfectly (still) so I will not be upgrading further at this stage. My view is that if it works - leave well alone!
Bob

james.w11

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:55 pm

You could post the .stl files to www.thingiverse.com and tag them Prusa MMU spool holders or something similar. That might save you a bit of time over individually mailing out the files.

david.t28

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 pm

robert.g14 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:58 am
Claire, I am using the MM kit with a Mk2s. All working perfectly (still) so I will not be upgrading further at this stage. My view is that if it works - leave well alone!
Bob

Robert, what filament works good for you?

robert.g14

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 pm

I am using filament from Prusa, Rigid Ink, and Filamentive. The white is currently Filamentive PLAr (recycled), all other are PLA.

I think it is important to ensure you can print well with each colour/filament before trying multi-colour prints.

I have now had one jam! I didn’t bother clipping the end of a filament when loading it. It jammed. You then need to throw away all the filament to where it has been ground down by the feed gears. Clipping the end at an angle is therefore important to loading the filament.

The volume of requests for the .stl files is so low (2 so far) it is just easier to attach them to an email request. Bob (at) rmgledhill.co.uk
Bob

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”