jweaver

Do you need the Nylon when using Braided Sleeving

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Whilst building my MK3 I changed from Spiral Wrap to Braided Sleeving on the heatbed..

During this process, Prusa have upgraded their manual for spiral wrap and the sleeving they use (Which is different from mine)..

http://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/7.+Heat ... 12?lang=en
http://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/7.+Heat ... 89?lang=en

It seems that they no longer supply the Nylon Filament with the textile sleeve.. So do I need it or not?

I makes sense having it, as it gives the loom some rigidity and will prevent the loom from kinking.. But equally, I assume it could contribute towards thermistor wire breakge which is why they may have removed it.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

hiElvis

Re: Do you need the Nylon when using Braided Sleeving

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:26 pm

I can just confirm, that they dont ship the nylon filament anymore with the new braided sleeve (was searching frantically for it, until i checked back with the new assembly instructions ;)).

The braided sleeve does feel very stiff by itself though (much more than the sleeves I'm used to), but so does the old spiral wrap.

I guess the nylon won't hurt either way, I can only report back, if my wiring without the nylon fails, but so far so good...

jweaver

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

hiElvis wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:26 pm
I can just confirm, that they dont ship the nylon filament anymore with the new braided sleeve (was searching frantically for it, until i checked back with the new assembly instructions ;)).

The braided sleeve does feel very stiff by itself though (much more than the sleeves I'm used to), but so does the old spiral wrap.

I guess the nylon won't hurt either way, I can only report back, if my wiring without the nylon fails, but so far so good...
My braided sleeving is pretty flimsy if I am honest. I do have some nice robust stuff, but it was grey and I wanted black.. So I bought some (cheap) and its pretty thin.. I have doubled it up and used 2 layers and it will work, but I am not sure whether the nylon will help or hinder...

I think I will leave it in as I have already made up and finished the loom.. I guess I could always remove it if it causes problems.

Cheers

Jon

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 20

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm

I left my nylon in, when I built my printer with non prusa braided cable shield...

no problems so far.

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

HeySideburns

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm

What is the diameter of the textile sleeve?

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 20

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Ryan,

Mine was supplied Flat.

I will have a look tonight if I remember

this was what i used this time
Braid.JPG
Braid.JPG (90.41 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Braid Text.JPG
Braid Text.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 983 times
I think I used the smallest size for the X axis motor cable and the next size up for the Heatbed and Extruder cables, but the second size up, would have been easier

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

HeySideburns

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks, that would be great. I'm going to order some since I am waiting on a replacement frame part before I can continue my build.

bob.c6

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Is it a sleeve, or is it a wrap that you folks are using? I got the plastic spiral wrap and want to move to the braiding cover instead and want to know what to order from Amazon?

What sizes are needed for this printer?

stuart.b4

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I used braided sleeve with heatshrink over a cable tie on the ends.

The cabled will support their own weight fine, and it will be near-impossible to kink if the braided sleeve is pulled "tight".

Yes, I will have a real pain if any individual cable decides to dies now, but my Kossel had a setup like this for 5 years and was fine...

Ninja edit: I did not put the Nylon back in.

Bigdogbro1

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 pm

I still used the filament support for the larger bundle of wires coming from the extruder.

I just opened the end carefully by sliding the braid over a 1/2" socket and then melted the braid fiber ends together. the helped keep the braid from further unraveling and kept it open large enough at the ends for the large bundle to feed thru. I then used black electrical tape near the ends to finish it off where the Ty-wraps hold it down at the Einsy box end.

I ran the heater element and thermistor together in a smaller separate braid bundle. Smaller braid as well...1/4".
Attachments
20180218_122539.jpg
20180218_122539.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 635 times
New to 3D printing, Designed and built CNC Plasma Cutting Table, Motorcycles

Bigdogbro's Adventures
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5djrxBeeOKB9_6rHnn6G8A

Return to “Others (Archive)”