Zaz

Re: Linear Advance, is it coming back?

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 pm

jonathon.b wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm
I know this is only semi related to this thread but.....

I'm pretty used to configuring Marlin so can you almost use that current version or do you have to use the files provided on Github?
What github? Both original marlin, and the prusa fork are on github, and both have several branches. Or are you asking about the difference between the firmware available on the prusa site and the files in the prusa fork on github?

koen.k

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm

fulcrum wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Marlin currently does not support 32bit chips at all.
Really? Have a look at https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... in/src/HAL, that has at least three different 32bit chips supported.

reid.b
Topics answered: 2

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

For better 32-bit support. best to go to the Marlin 2.0 branch:

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... gfix-2.0.x

fulcrum

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 pm

koen.k wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm
fulcrum wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Marlin currently does not support 32bit chips at all.
Really? Have a look at https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... in/src/HAL, that has at least three different 32bit chips supported.
According to boards.h, I didn't see any boards listed there that include a 32bit chip. I admit that I might have missed something.

fulcrum

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 pm

reid.b wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm
For better 32-bit support. best to go to the Marlin 2.0 branch:

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... gfix-2.0.x
Obviously, I hadn't noticed the 2.0 branch :oops: And keon.k is right, there are already 32bit boards/chips supported so let's hope that 32bit i3's will come sooner rather than later.

nathan0876

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 pm

I dont even know why this is up for debate. Obviously the next models will have a 32 bit chip. From what i have seen from Prusa so far they constantly innovate and push the boundaries.

Since the Mk3 is already past its max stable CPU load, thus them having to disable LA. The only option if Prusa wants to continue to innovate and add features is to go 32 bit. Its either that or call it quits with what they have now and from what i have seen thats not the Prusa way.

john.v11

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Just my 2 cents but the ignorance in some of these threads is amazing. It's obvious that many people just regurgitate what they want to hear instead of actually trying to understand the reality, cause, and effect of the problem.

fulcrum

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 pm

john.v11 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 pm
Just my 2 cents but the ignorance in some of these threads is amazing. It's obvious that many people just regurgitate what they want to hear instead of actually trying to understand the reality, cause, and effect of the problem.
Could you please elaborate?

devilhunter
Topics answered: 2

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

nathan0876 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 pm
Since the Mk3 is already past its max stable CPU load, thus them having to disable LA.

I'm using the MK2 with Linear Advance for three months now. It works, even the old board can handle it.
The only thing that isn't working reliably with Linear Advance is the serial buffer + streaming commands from Octoprint, which needs a rewrite of a bit of software on the board to make OctoPrint happy again.

But yes, the 8 bit board can't handle anymore than LA and the current ludicrous speed of 200mm/sec infill, something beefier needs to come if there will be any more groundbreaking print related features.

The Duet WiFi is pretty overkill, but all i see this board do except print (and not as well as well as my finely tuned MK2) is drive a big display, some internal webserver, and plugins.
A Raspbnerry Pi can do all of those, too.

Remember, the hardware will only as good as the software that runs on it (quote Steve Jobs), and there are some things they can pull off with the Einsy + Raspberry combo.

At least, the future upgrades will be more future proof now that we have 24V, and the surrounding components for it.

32bit board upgrade? no probs, put a Duet or something else from Prusa in the Future in there.

Return to “Others (Archive)”