steven.b

Re: life adjust Z - my way

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 pm

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you for your post...

mitch99

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:43 am

jeff, i absolutely love your program, i´ve printed countless amounts of 0.2 mm sheets over the last few days due to various calibration issues :lol: i also made my own version to play around with first layer speed ratios in slicer. but my problem is that the printer starts on the opposite of your program (rear left), so you don´t really see what he is actually doing.
did you set that specific startpoint in simplify3d or is it even possible in slicer?
i don´t want to rewrite the whole g-code by hand :D

thank you and cheers!

ps.: sorry, this might be slightly off-topic :|

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 18

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 pm

mitch99 wrote:did you set that specific startpoint in simplify3d or is it even possible in slicer?
sorry mitch, but i don't. i simply used the default settings of s3d and it worked in the way i liked it.
:|
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

MrMik
Topics answered: 2

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:10 am

I have been using a very similar approach, 0.2mm layer, but a little smaller and slimmer. It works well.

I only use the V2 calibration to get rid of the annoying message that calibration is not complete. It is otherwise useless.

Here is the OpenScad code for Live-z-adjust-cube_1.4.scad:

Code: Select all

// Calibration square to be printed before main print object, to allow live-z-adjust. cube ([75,20,0.2]);

I'll have to get some cooling spray, sound useful.

john j.s

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:15 pm

This gcode was very helpful. I thought my V2calibration test went well even when I did not have to make any live Z adjustments. That did not seem possible and I thought perhaps there were issues I just could not recognize and did not really understand. After running this calibration I found it produced a nearly flawless sheet about .24 mm thick slightly larger than 75 mm and perfectly square.
Last edited by john j.s on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:18 pm

john j.s wrote:... it produced a nearly flawless sheet about .24 mm thick slightly larger than 75 mm and perfectly square...
maybe you can do some fine adjustment right now.
the thickness of the sheet begins at about 0.27mm when the nozzle is to high. the thickness then drops down to 0.20mm when you've found the right z adjustment value. then it rises again to approx. 0.23mm when the nozzle is too low (then the surface gets somehow dim and rough).
so the challenge is to find the optimum.
:roll:

john j.s

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:05 am

jeffjordan, thank you for the missing element in my understanding. I have run the gcode several times reducing the thickness to .2 +-.007 across the whole surface. I was/am not sure how much closer I could get. I had not thought about the possibility of the function being parabolic and overshooting the "sweet spot". Thank you for this important information.

EDIT: When I review all of you earlier posts on this topic, you had made the point but it did not register with me until your most recent post. Thanks again for the code and the assistance.

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:03 pm

it's a pleasure to share experience and help.
one can only learn by mistake... but you don't need to make the mistakes yourself.
:mrgreen:

david.m17

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:44 pm

These pictures and this code were a Godsend! Thank you very much! I was very frustrated, being new to 3D printing, on the Z-adjustment. This took the mystery away and has set me on the road to productivity. 5 stars! :D :D :D :D :D

chris.s8

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Thank you Jeff. I really needed to find this post. Its exactly what I was needing to fine tune my printer. I could always get kinda closish but was struggling with how to get it better.

Chris

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”