chad.k6

How long did assembly take

Jan 23, 2019 3:10 pm

I ordered my MK3 earlier in the week, and it just shipped out this morning. I'm wondering, how long did it take you to assemble? Looking online I've seen anywhere from 6-12 hours. I had an Ender 3 previously, and I saw some folks taking 2-4 hours to assemble, but it only took me about 30-60 minutes at most. I'm just curious what everyone's experience is here. Thanks!

nikolai.r
Answers: 6

Re: How long did assembly take

Jan 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello Chad,

It highly depends who is doing it. Some people spending hours only to get the bed a little bit better leveled. Some people are rushing just to start the print. So any time comparison for the build process is kind of hard.

The only hint I can give you is to watch the build process on youtube. Many people have done this and you can get many best practices out of it. Read also the comments in the online build instruction. They we very helpful to me.

No rush and try to enjoy the build process paying attention to all small details. You will benefit from it in long term. (broken cables ....)

claire.k

Jan 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Hello.
For me (i am old but not yet tired) i take time :
Time to read instructions and comments (instructive)
Time to prepare pieces, clean, remove rest of filament, hole and angle with a file (soft)
Time to mount, assemble, dispose
Time for nut in hole to put well in bottom with a screw

Take time for a goodworking-machine after that (ooohoo my english).

I take 20 at 30 hours cool.
But i am not a reference.
Claire

lawrence.g2

Jan 24, 2019 4:44 am

My MK3 assembly 6 hours, my Ender3 assembly 50 minutes, both on the same weekend and without internet access.

rob.l6
Answers: 2

Jan 24, 2019 5:56 am

chad.k6 wrote:
Jan 23, 2019 3:10 pm
I'm wondering, how long did it take you to assemble?

2.5 packets of Haribos :lol:

RHDreambox
Answers: 4

Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am

If you spend a few extra hours getting a perfect frame that is not skewed then the hours will pay off then.
Happy owner of a Prusa MK3

joseph.p27

Jan 24, 2019 8:44 pm

16 hours with lots of stops and starts and family interruptions. I usually only got about 45-90 minute blocks of time to work on it before I had to stop and put everything away and come back to it later. I included all the time I spent carefully readying the online assembly manual and the great user comments suggesting better ways to do certain things. I also spent probably 1.5 hours on the frame getting it to sit perfectly flat.

I am confident that I could build another one in 8 hours. At least until I forgot all the little tips and techniques I developed/learned on the first one.

lawrence.g2

Jan 25, 2019 12:07 am

I respectfully disagree about needing a couple of extra hours to get the frame straight. My MK3 was the my first exposure to 3D printers, and just by following the printed hardcopy instructions it self-tested and reported perpendicular and zero skew on first assembly. I did make two errors, which I'll put in another thread to avoid hijacking this one.

nikolai.r
Answers: 6

Jan 25, 2019 12:11 am

lawrence.g2 wrote:
I respectfully disagree about needing a couple of extra hours to get the frame straight. My MK3 was the my first exposure to 3D printers, and just by following the printed hardcopy instructions it self-tested and reported perpendicular and zero skew on first assembly. I did make two errors, which I'll put in another thread to avoid hijacking this one.
There is leveled and there is true leveled ;)

joseph.p27

Jan 25, 2019 9:47 pm

lawrence.g2 wrote:
I respectfully disagree about needing a couple of extra hours to get the frame straight.
That's great for you, but there are manufacturing tolerances that mean each build is slightly different.

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”