zachery.l

Re: life adjust Z - my way

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Quick question,

I printed this on my new i3 and it looks uniform and great, however, every strand is individual. Is that how this should turn out or should it be more of a solid single sheet of print?

I am picking up batteries for my micrometer today. Pulled it out and it was dead :(

Zack

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 18

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:24 pm

:arrow: as long as there are individual strands you'll need to lower the z live adjustment level further more (make it more negative !).
when everything is fine, it should be a solid single sheet, like a foil or a film.

:idea: as soon as you've reached this point, you're quite near the optimum.
zachery.l wrote:I am picking up batteries for my micrometer today. Pulled it out and it was dead :(...
that's the way life works... so it's always a good idea to have some spare LR44 / AG13 batteries in stock :mrgreen:
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

chris.s8

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:51 pm

[quote="JeffJordan"]:arrow: as long as there are individual strands you'll need to lower the z live adjustment level further more (make it more negative !).
when everything is fine, it should be a solid single sheet, like a foil or a film.

Took me awhile after first starting to figure out if negative or positive was powering the nozzle. (Make it more negative) is good words for beginners to read.

Knickohr
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 1

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 pm

OK, this is MY way of doing it. Yes, it's not life, but nearly ;)

I use this pattern : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831902

First I use the V2calivration.gcode for rough calibration. Then I print the pattern in 0.20mm.

After that i measure the fields with an caliper for exact layer high measurement an every field :
P1040589.jpg
P1040589.jpg (287.59 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
I lower the nozzle a few microns and test it again :
P1040590.jpg
P1040590.jpg (268.23 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
I think it is good enough. Or should I lower the nozzle a few microns again ?

Thomas

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 am

hi thomas,
:P
nice documentation and it looks as you are very close to the optimum.
:arrow: you could try to lower the z level adjustment value approximately 30 - 50 µm more.

there is an "optimum" when doing these tests. if your nozzle is to close to the printbed, the thickness of the sheet rises up again (because the surface becomes more rough and the squeezed edges of each strand tend to overlap).

:!:
but take in mind: when you've found the optimal z-level adjustment value, the adhesion to the printbed is maximal. which might cause big prints with large bottom surfaces to stick at the printbed as hell :twisted: .
so it might be a good idea to alter the z-value to a slightly higher level than the optimum... otherwise you might get problems to get your print off from the pei sheet.

Knickohr
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 1

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 am

Jeff, you're right !

Not lowering the nozzle, moving the nozzle up was the goal :D

I'm about 20 microns too deep with the last setup :shock:

I'm sometimes removing my prints with an razor blade, gluing much too fast on the bed :twisted:

Thomas

avi.s

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:07 am

JeffJordan, you are my hero!

I struggled so much to get my Z setting correct using the V2 Calibration code because it was just a single line and I had no idea if the Z is correct. Is it too squished, is it too round?

Your solution, the Calibration Surface works so much better and now I was able, easily, to set my Z correctly. Thank you very much for your elegant solution!

manu

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 am

This looks promising, will definitely try it out.

Is it normal that I have to adjust the distance for each filament type I print? I printed Prusa PLA and the first layer looked good. However when I tried the Prusa ABS it seemed that the z distance is too high.
I would have expected this value to be calibrated once and that's it. Otherwise I would always have to readjust the value when I change the filament... :cry:
Design, Print, Repeat

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:59 am

:arrow: the z-live adjust value should be the same for all filaments.
:idea: but the "sticking - capability" of the filaments differ. so it's nearly impossible to get nylon sticking at the pei sheet without further measures.

manu

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am

JeffJordan wrote::arrow: the z-live adjust value should be the same for all filaments.
:idea: but the "sticking - capability" of the filaments differ. so it's nearly impossible to get nylon sticking at the pei sheet without further measures.
Thanks Jeff, that's what I expected.
I'll try it with your calibration code, hopefully this will give me a good result for all filaments

Wird schon funzen ;)
Design, Print, Repeat

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”