bobstro
Topics answered: 16

Re: life adjust Z - my way

Jul 11, 2018 2:09 am

martin.w15 wrote:
Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am
[...] My preference is to tune Z live adjust for just one filament type (i.e. PLA) and just put a relative Z offset in the slicer for the other filament types eg 0.2mm for PETG. This means if my live adjust changes due to a different nozzle or something else I just have to retune PLA and the slicer offsets take care of the other filaments.
That is indeed a great idea. For anybody that manages to get their adjusted in the first place, I can see that being optimal. I assumed Pathogen was referring to the gcode at the start of this thread.

I've been annoyed trying without success to embed gcode to pause with a message for different filaments, but you idea is even better. Thanks!

Edit: What slicer are you using? I see a z-offset parameter in Slic3r, but unfortunately, only on the printer page. I've found the following suggested for custom gcode:

Code: Select all

; start code contains homing, pre-heating, auto-leveling, nozzle priming, etc. G1 Z0.2 F500 ; Go to the level of 0.2 mm + your paper thickness G92 Z0 ; This redefines the zero Z level
I assume this would only reset things for the current print, or until the next auto-level.

robert.g31

Jul 16, 2018 4:38 am

Does anyone have the GCode used in the gcode files? I would like to add the start and stop procedure to all my prints to stop the nozzle oozing. I couldn't find anything in PJR's post history so I'm assuming its custom made? Could anyone please link to his or something similar?

martin.w15
Topics answered: 9

Jul 16, 2018 4:54 am

bobstro wrote:
Jul 11, 2018 2:09 am
Edit: What slicer are you using? I see a z-offset parameter in Slic3r, but unfortunately, only on the printer page. I've found the following suggested for custom gcode:

Code: Select all

; start code contains homing, pre-heating, auto-leveling, nozzle priming, etc. G1 Z0.2 F500 ; Go to the level of 0.2 mm + your paper thickness G92 Z0 ; This redefines the zero Z level
I assume this would only reset things for the current print, or until the next auto-level.
I use Slic3r. As you found I just dump it in the printer page. I maintain a couple of saved printer pre-sets. A generic one, the PETG one with the 0.2mm Z offset and one for Rigid Ink PLA to enable extruding at 170°C as that filament gives it's best result at 180°C and by default the MK3 does not extrude below 190C.

Regards,
Martin

bob.c6

Jul 16, 2018 2:39 pm

by martin.w15 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm

My preference is to tune Z live adjust for just one filament type (i.e. PLA) and just put a relative Z offset in the slicer for the other filament types eg 0.2mm for PETG. This means if my live adjust changes due to a different nozzle or something else I just have to retune PLA and the slicer offsets take care of the other filaments.

Regards,
Martin

How would I do this in Simplify 3D? Where/how do you enter a relative Z offset from your base filament?

berthold.h

Jul 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi,
My extruder calibration asks for a multiplier of 1,13. Shouldn't the first layer calibration be done with the correct multiplier? Also, the prusa PLA filament is rather 1,70 than 1,75. Wouldn't it be advisable to consider both factors for first layer calibration?

Thanks for all the work!

Berthold

gary.t4

Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Jeff

Im getting a pretty nice surface finish at about -700 but my thickness is about .28 any ideas ?

pad.jpg
pad.jpg (102.93 KiB) Viewed 204 times

berthold.h

Jul 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Im getting a pretty nice surface finish at about -700 but my thickness is about .28 any ideas ?

It looks a bit too high for my taste. Try -750 and make sure you don't measure the thickness along the print lines, but at right angle to them.

FaultyLine

Jul 23, 2018 6:03 am

Quick question - does anyone else have their z-axis move all the way to the top of the printer and force against the top end mechanical stops after the print finishes? It's similar to when you calibrate the z-axis - the on screen menu asks you to move it up until it hits the top of the printer and then it starts the calibration procedure.

I ask because I'm unable to get a reliable result from the printer due to this behavior. If I let the print finish, then reboot the printer before the z-axis gets to the top and hits the mechanical end stops , the value I put in remains consistent for future prints.

If I allow the printer to do what it wants and ram the z-axis into the top - and then attempt to redo this print, the existing values that worked on the prior print no longer work at all.

Maybe I'm not using the latest version of the gcode on this forum? I have pictures of my results, if that's helpful to anyone.

EDIT: I'm using the PET one that came from this file "S3D_calibration_surfaces_75x75@200um_v6.1.zip"

pete.r

Jul 24, 2018 4:08 pm

As I newbie and trying to get Z Offset working for PETG I am trying some calibration but I am confused. I have created a test digram with 20mm x 20mm 0.2mm thick patches . 5 of them One in each corner and one in the centre. So I can check bed leveling.

Then in slic3r I have a base stl image with all 5 on the platter. I then have 4 users presets based on the Prusa PET Printer setting. They have Z offsets of
0.0, 0.1 , 0.2 and 0.3 .

I then set the printer setting , slice and export to gcode So 4 files created from each set of print settings.

BUT when I print for example the 0.1 offset whilst printing I see Z = 0.2. When I print the 0.3 I see Z = 0.5 .On the LCD what is going on ?

pete.r

Jul 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Ignore my uestion I didnt realize Live Offset was permanent so I guess this has some implication on what I seeing. Have set this to zero and will start again

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”