bobstro
Topics answered: 3

Re: life adjust Z - my way

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 am

martin.w15 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am
[...] My preference is to tune Z live adjust for just one filament type (i.e. PLA) and just put a relative Z offset in the slicer for the other filament types eg 0.2mm for PETG. This means if my live adjust changes due to a different nozzle or something else I just have to retune PLA and the slicer offsets take care of the other filaments.
That is indeed a great idea. For anybody that manages to get their adjusted in the first place, I can see that being optimal. I assumed Pathogen was referring to the gcode at the start of this thread.

I've been annoyed trying without success to embed gcode to pause with a message for different filaments, but you idea is even better. Thanks!

Edit: What slicer are you using? I see a z-offset parameter in Slic3r, but unfortunately, only on the printer page. I've found the following suggested for custom gcode:

Code: Select all

; start code contains homing, pre-heating, auto-leveling, nozzle priming, etc. G1 Z0.2 F500 ; Go to the level of 0.2 mm + your paper thickness G92 Z0 ; This redefines the zero Z level
I assume this would only reset things for the current print, or until the next auto-level.

robert.g31

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 am

Does anyone have the GCode used in the gcode files? I would like to add the start and stop procedure to all my prints to stop the nozzle oozing. I couldn't find anything in PJR's post history so I'm assuming its custom made? Could anyone please link to his or something similar?

martin.w15
Topics answered: 9

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:54 am

bobstro wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 am
Edit: What slicer are you using? I see a z-offset parameter in Slic3r, but unfortunately, only on the printer page. I've found the following suggested for custom gcode:

Code: Select all

; start code contains homing, pre-heating, auto-leveling, nozzle priming, etc. G1 Z0.2 F500 ; Go to the level of 0.2 mm + your paper thickness G92 Z0 ; This redefines the zero Z level
I assume this would only reset things for the current print, or until the next auto-level.
I use Slic3r. As you found I just dump it in the printer page. I maintain a couple of saved printer pre-sets. A generic one, the PETG one with the 0.2mm Z offset and one for Rigid Ink PLA to enable extruding at 170°C as that filament gives it's best result at 180°C and by default the MK3 does not extrude below 190C.

Regards,
Martin

bob.c6

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:39 pm

by martin.w15 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm

My preference is to tune Z live adjust for just one filament type (i.e. PLA) and just put a relative Z offset in the slicer for the other filament types eg 0.2mm for PETG. This means if my live adjust changes due to a different nozzle or something else I just have to retune PLA and the slicer offsets take care of the other filaments.

Regards,
Martin

How would I do this in Simplify 3D? Where/how do you enter a relative Z offset from your base filament?

berthold.h

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi,
My extruder calibration asks for a multiplier of 1,13. Shouldn't the first layer calibration be done with the correct multiplier? Also, the prusa PLA filament is rather 1,70 than 1,75. Wouldn't it be advisable to consider both factors for first layer calibration?

Thanks for all the work!

Berthold

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”