FransKrau
Topics answered: 1

Re: life adjust Z - my way

Mar 07, 2017 8:16 am

It works great!! PLA sticks like h....ll. Very smooth prints now. Thanks a lot, it was very helpfull.

Frans
Frans Krau
Europe, Holland, Apeldoorn

jeff.p5

Mar 09, 2017 10:38 pm

I am using your solution and it has been very helpful!

I discovered something interesting last night that was repeatable over several tests. I followed your instructions and got to a very nice print that was 0.20 microns. I then decided to do one printout using the same Z adjust value for the whole print. What I found is pictured below. Basically, the bottom right diagonal prints out well, but when the top left diagonal is printed it tears apart at each strand. I tried up to + 50 microns with the results basically staying the same, lower right diagonal (where the print begins is good, top left breaks apart. I redid the XYZ calibration and the result was still the same. I also cleaned the bed with ISO before each print. My Z height is currently at -200

This lends me to believe that my bed is not level, but before changing too many variables I thought I would share my picture and get thoughts of others.
Attachments
test print.jpg
test print.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1732 times

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Topics answered: 18

Mar 10, 2017 8:42 am

jeff.p5 wrote:I am using your solution and it has been very helpful!

I discovered something interesting last night that was repeatable over several tests. I followed your instructions and got to a very nice print that was 0.20 microns. I then decided to do one printout using the same Z adjust value for the whole print. What I found is pictured below. Basically, the bottom right diagonal prints out well, but when the top left diagonal is printed it tears apart at each strand. I tried up to + 50 microns with the results basically staying the same, lower right diagonal (where the print begins is good, top left breaks apart. I redid the XYZ calibration and the result was still the same. I also cleaned the bed with ISO before each print. My Z height is currently at -200

This lends me to believe that my bed is not level, but before changing too many variables I thought I would share my picture and get thoughts of others.
hmmm... normally the meshbed levelling (during the 9 point z-axis calibration) should cope small imperfections in the flatness of the print surface, at least that's what it's supposed to do. but i don't know the range it could do so.

:arrow: furthermore meshbed leveling assumes that the pinda probe is always able to detect the height between its tip and the copper pads inside the multi-layer heatbed with the same precision at each of the 9 pads. unfortunately reality doesn't follow that approach, because you have other metal parts nearby or under the printbed (for example a bearing under calibration point #4, screws, the frame and the (right) z-axis stepper motor(s)). and in addition, the whole printer operates in an electromagnetic environment where the environmental conditions might severely differ from location to location.
i think that is the reason why there is still the possibility to apply 4 additional correction values (but why only 4 ? nine would be more helpful).
and, last but not least, the pinda's sensitivity is a function of temperature....

:? don't misunderstand me: i like the meshbed leveling a lot and i think it's one of the key features that contributed to the success of the mk2. but it has it's limits.

so it's always a good idea to get the printbed as flat as you can get it with assembly measures (avoid squeezing when tightening the screws that hold the printbed at the y-carriage, if nescessary use some washers to compensate dips in the surface etc.).
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

Chris123

Mar 10, 2017 7:07 pm

I was having the same problem wIth the live adjust. It was driving me insane as I was going through all the same steps and worrying about the printbed not being level.

It turned out in my case it was the filament spool being tangled and not feeding cleanly. I cut a strip free and the square printed fine. The spool had been fine up until that point.

mark.c7

Mar 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks so much! We just got our printer and were trying to figure out how to make the print adhere to the surface correctly. Your post and code were extremely helpful in addition tot the calibration code that came with the printer. We are now successfully printing off our first print from one of the models included with the printer!

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

by request from michael.r16, here an untested (because i got only 0.4mm nozzles) version for 0.25mm nozzles:

jwx23

Mar 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi @JeffJordan, is there any chance you could post the STL for this calibration model? I would like to use it on ABS and PETG which I have not been able to get to stick very well with my PLA live z. Also, how do you manage to change the height by round numbers (i.e. increments of five)? My live z adjustment seems to be by 3.

JeffJordan
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Mar 23, 2017 8:13 pm

jwx23 wrote:Hi @JeffJordan, is there any chance you could post the STL for this calibration model? ...
yes, of course. but it's no big deal. simply a cube 75 x 75 x 0.2 mm in size.
calibration_surface_75x75mm@200um_stl.zip
(372 Bytes) Downloaded 265 times
jwx23 wrote:... Also, how do you manage to change the height by round numbers (i.e. increments of five)? My live z adjustment seems to be by 3.
didn't get your problem here: simply dial carefully with the knob at the lcd module. if you can "dial" your value within a precision of +/- 5µm, you're allright.

Bavilo

Mar 24, 2017 2:15 pm

curently doing the calibration.

I hve one question though...Lets say I move the printer and I am redoing the calibration. Do I also have to find a new Z Adjust? Or will the Z adjust always be the same?

Bavilo

Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Ok so calibration is done.

I believe I was spot on with 525 last night.

400 has holes
450 is smooth and 0.200 thick. But not a 100% accurate look
475 feels rough and not a 100% accurate look
500 is very rough
525 is smooth and looks accurate, also 0.200 thick
550 is even tougher

Here some pics:
IMG_20170324_154613.jpg
IMG_20170324_154613.jpg (3.94 MiB) Viewed 1539 times
IMG_20170324_153309.jpg
IMG_20170324_153309.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 1539 times
IMG_20170324_153322.jpg