jbinfl
Answers: 1

Re: life adjust Z - my way

Oct 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Hold on, I am confused as something does not seem right. Just to be sure.
FaultyLine wrote:
Oct 28, 2018 8:29 pm
I think you are asking 3 things here...
1) Does adjusting the Live Z-Height from -500 to -600 result in the hot end getting closer to the bed<= yes, this is correct
2) Does adjusting the Live Z-Height from -500 to -400 result in the hot end getting further from the bed<= yes this is correct
3) Is "V6" of the live-z-adjust downloads the latest version. <= yes.

I am not sure I agree with the below info. Moving the live z number more negative (eg from <500> to <525>) moves the nozzle closer to the bed and squishes the filament more or it should. Moving the live z number more positive or less negative (eg from <500> to <475>) moves the nozzle farther away from the thread and less squishes to the filament. Or it should.

I am sure that with my printer a more negative number moves the nozzle closer to the bed and a less negative number moves the nozzle away from the bed. This also corresponds with the Knowledge base information under support. https://help.prusa3d.com/l/en/article/Z ... e-adjust-z.

I am not doubting you if you are saying that is what happens, but are you sure that is what your printer does? I cannot find it right now, but there was a post either earlier in the thread (or in another thread) where someone said the same thing as below (more negative moves nozzle away from the bed) which runs counter to other information earlier in the thread. I thought there was something with their wiring being backwards or something that caused it. Again do not quote me on that i am not 100% sure. I will look for it and if anyone has more info about that it would be helpful.

I have a Prusa i3 MK2.5 (recently upgraded) and my printer does the opposite of yours. if I go from -500 to -1000 then my hot end moves away from the bed (it goes UP), which results in a less "squished" line that's thicker in the "Z" axis. If I were to adjust it from -500 to 0 my hot end would move closer to the bed, which results in a very squished line that is very thin in the "Z" axis but would be very wide in either X or Y axis's.

My understanding is that V6 is the latest version of these test patterns.

Hope that helps.

matthew.g31

Nov 10, 2018 1:10 am

I used this file and technique for calibrating my printer and it is fantastic. Thank you so much for making this file available.

Due to an unrelated issue, I have taken the nozzle off my printer and will be screwing it back on. I will also be switching from PLA to PETG for my next print. How can I use this technique for dialing in the printer using PETG. I assume that the temperature settings, etc will need to be different for PETG than the settings currently in the downloadable file.

Do you folks have any advice for how to calibrate using this technique with PETG?

jbinfl

Nov 10, 2018 1:43 am

here is an STL you can put into your slicer and generate a Gcode using temp and filament settings.
calibration_surface_75x75mm@200um_stl.zip
(372 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times
There are also Gcodes for PETG and ABS (sorry that is PLA not ABS) at Bobstro's page here: http://projects.ttlexceeded.com/3dprint ... ation.html

Thingiverse also has various calibration squares, it is just 1 layer 75X75 @ 0.20MM height.

(edited to correct info for below update)
Last edited by jbinfl on Nov 10, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobstro
Answers: 37

Nov 10, 2018 4:46 am

jbinfl wrote:
Nov 10, 2018 1:43 am
[...] There are also Gcodes for PETG and ABS at Bobstro's page here: http://projects.ttlexceeded.com/3dprint ... ation.html
I've got PLA and PETG gcode files in various nozzle sizes, but not ABS. If someone would be willing to test the ABS prints, I'd be happy to generate them (as well as any other desired material).
My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

jbinfl

Nov 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Bobstro:

Fixed above.

Just wanted to say, your site has really good information for new users and I use it all the time and appreciate you creating it. It is well written and provides good additional information on various topics. So please keep rockin!

JB

markus.k8

Nov 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Hello,

i am new in 3D-printig. I bought the kit and assembled it. The wizard says everything is OK.

BUT on the right side of the bed, seems to me, i have a good first layer and the left side of the bed, it seems to me, i am too high with the nozzle.Image https://photos.app.goo.gl/fv1vkMPZjbwPrR8X8

What can I do, what should i do?

nikolai.r
Answers: 6

Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm

markus.k8 wrote:
Nov 13, 2018 7:25 pm
What can I do, what should i do?
It's already pretty good. I would go even lower. On textured sheet you will see no big difference.

flashburn

Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm

I could really use some help dialing in my Z. I'm basically a complete noob, just got my i3 Mk3 last week. I've printed out a few things succesfully, but whenever I try to print something larger it winds up failing at some point.

This is my current test print, the bottom right is at -0.68 and the top left is -0.72:
https://imgur.com/a/fGOn4nD

My gut tells me that -0.72 is pretty good, but I really am not sure what I'm looking for, even after looking at others prints.

Thanks!

toaf
Answers: 6

Nov 14, 2018 10:23 pm

what fails? does it come off the bed, or does something else happen?
I have a Prusa,
therefore I research.

thanks,
chris

flashburn

Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm

toaf wrote:
Nov 14, 2018 10:23 pm
what fails? does it come off the bed, or does something else happen?
I've been trying to print this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3127795

At 0.4mm the base layer was failing to lay down completely or later layers would turn out like this:
https://imgur.com/136ehuA

So, even after I thought I had a decent Z calibration, it was failing. I decided to try printing it at 0.2mm instead and surprisingly it looked good at first, but then I started noticing that the corners were warping. Once it was finished I found that I was able to remove several strips of filament with my fingernail on the first layer.

After that I decided to readjust my PINDA probe, so I did that, and then I started recalibrating, and the above image is where I'm currently at.

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”