Itherina

Re: Mk3 loses its home after stopping a print

Feb 21, 2019 7:26 am

Hi max.b10,

What you describe is pretty much exactly what has been happening with my i3 Mk3 the past few weeks, but since I'm so new to 3D printing I've been having a difficult time problem solving this particular issue. It ran extremely well for the first two months (I ordered and assembled it in December) and printed some incredibly beautiful models with no failures. Suddenly about a week ago after updating to the newest firmware I began having trouble with the printer losing home and beginning calibrations around the middle to back left corners and subsequently "crashing" or grinding to a halt when the bed moves too far forward. When trying to move the bed manually from the screen I am only able to move is slightly in a single direction. For example, even though the bed is centered it can only move forwards not backwards, since the bed location is registering as 0. Additionally, the bed was getting way too hot and prints were peeling as well as a few other odd issues that hadn't happened before.

At first I assumed it was corrupted firmware, so I reverted to 3.5.1 but all the issues still kept happening (even if I didn't manually stop the print), so I did a factory reset and re-calibrated. Just to do my due diligence I also checked and tightened the belts which are now at near perfect/recommended tension (although I tend to have a lot of stretching in the X belt fairly often). As recommended by others above, doing a self test usually fixes the issue, but not always, so I'm not entirely sure whether its a hardware or software issue at this point.

I ordered the new mk3S printed parts so instead of dismantling everything now, I'm hoping that installing these and trying the firmware update again might solve some issues. I'll update after but any help or insight/advice in the meantime is so appreciated :).

james.m96

Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Brand new kit mk3s here; the printer will no longer auto-home the x-axis. The x carriage can move freely, the belts are properly tensioned, the prints look great, but the only solution to get it to home is to turn the printer off, manually move the x carriage all the way to the left (towards the stepper motor) so that when it auto homes it actually hits the far left stop.

If I use auto home anywhere else it just moves about 25 cm left a few times regardless if there's anything there to bump into. It's quite frustration to be honest.

michel.k5

Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am

I'm so glad I found others with the same issue! It took me a while to figure this out, but when I stop a print from the interface, the extruder does not home all the way to the left on the x-axis!!!. Subsequent prints fail when calibrating because the x-axis is in the wrong "spot". My current fix is to shut off the printer, move the extruder all the way to the left, and turn it back on again. Super annoying. Sounds like a bug to me.

tim.m30
Answers: 20

Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am

If you stop a print by pressing the X button, you are resetting the printer to a power on state.

Generally, you want to stop prints using the menu: press the round control knob, navigate down to the PAUSE or STOP, as appropriate. Press the round knob again.

Any chance this is what's happening?

Also - what is showing up in the diagnostic screens? Do you see any crashes reported ??

garrath.b

Mar 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Yes I have the same issue and I get the same issue even using the stop print!!!

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”