kirby.d

Mk3s wants to unload and re load filament when I try printing.

Feb 19, 2019 9:42 pm

I just finished building my mk3s. All seems good until I try print. It will heat up, find the 9 points and go to start printing. Before it starts the purge line it stops, moves to the right and asked to unload the filament, which I do, then load it back in. Then say it’s all loaded. It goes back to the same spot as if it’s about to print. It stops again and does the same thing. No matter the filament I use or if I use the loaded geodes or use my own gcodes.

tim.m30
Answers: 20

Re: Mk3s wants to unload and re load filament when I try printing.

Feb 19, 2019 9:44 pm

Disable the filament sensor and try again ... then report back with what happens.

Malibusteve

Feb 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Wait...you're having the sensor issue with the new MK3S sensor?? Oh boy, here we go...

tim.m30

Feb 19, 2019 10:13 pm

They didn't do anything to address the plug in which row of pins problem ... so of course there'll be issues. But I'm suspecting the operational code is the same and that if someone stutters when inserting the filament an extra removal is caught and fed into the "no filament" buffer.

ronald.m12

Feb 20, 2019 1:27 am

I TO AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE. I REMOVED THE SENSOR AT THE BOARD AND PLUGGED IT BACK IN BUT NO JOY IT IS STILL DOING THE SAME THING.

tim.m30

Feb 20, 2019 8:18 am

If you are having filament load/unload issues while printing, contact tech support via Chat.

jbinfl
Answers: 1

Feb 21, 2019 12:29 am

What is your firmware version? 3.5.2/3.53

I experienced an unload/load, like a filament change when starting a print yesterday and posted a github issue on it.

Pretty sure I linked this thread.

It could be a software glitch because I have just a MK3 not the S and it started after the upgrade to 3.5.2.... I had my filament sensor on and after I turned it off I was able to complete a couple of prints. I am going to test again tomorrow with the filament sensor on to see if it recreates the issue.

Have never had that happen before and nothing changed other than the most recent firmware.

martinlexa
Prusa Support
Prusa Support

Feb 22, 2019 1:25 am

Hello Kirby,

Here's a knowledge base article made just for you, fresh from the oven.
https://help.prusa3d.com/article/43mduc ... -the-print
Sorry for the delay. Tell me if it helped or not.
Prusa Research Customer Support (en, fr, cz)

tim.m30

Feb 23, 2019 9:49 pm

@martin: I seriously doubt the IR detector used in the new design is laser based. That'd be extreme over kill. In fact, I've never heard of an IR laser in a slot detector because a simple IR LED and phototransistor work so well without the added expense of a laser diode.

http://www.nskelectronics.com/slot_sensor.html

If you know the actual mfg part number, and it proves to be LASER based, I'd love to learn of the new technology.

ps: the ball will stick if filament dust builds up on the floor of the housing. Bearings don't like to roll over obstacles, and the Bondtech gear likes to create chunks of filament dust if the nozzle is being temperamental. But this all will depend on the spring force applied to it. My kit is in the mail, so I'll know soon enough.

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”