bernard.c4

PLA doesn't stick

Dec 03, 2018 2:05 am

I could add this to the older thread, but my problem is a bit different. I have an already-built unit and when it arrived I printed out the PRUSA logo and it printed perfectly. Since then i have not been able to make a *single* print (probably 20 failures by now). I even tried the prusa logo again and it failed. Always the same: it starts laying down the base and after just a minute or two the nozzle dragging a glob of PLA around with it, with just a mess trailing behind.

I've tried: carefully cleaning the plate with alcohol [not 99% pure stuff, just ordinary] I've tried cleaning with acetone. I've washed it in dishwashing detergent. None of that makes any difference. I don't think there's a problem with Mk3 - it came assembled and printed its first print perfectly and the printer hasn't be moved since then.

Is there some information [pictures? Perhaps a test-file to try printing] that might help illuminate what's going wrong? Thanks

/Bernie\

toaf
Answers: 5

Re: PLA doesn't stick

Dec 03, 2018 2:21 am

you can allways print up a 50/50/.2 test square. maybe you need to adjust the Z. the first layer calibration can work, but just having a 50/50/.2 square speeds things up
Attachments
50 50 2.rar
(238 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
I have a Prusa,
therefore I research.

thanks,
chris

RHDreambox
Answers: 4

Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm

If the filament "rolls up" and sticks to the nozzle, the cause can be dirty bed or too high z level.
Since you have washed the bed with detergent and water (which is the best), just keep adjusting the Z level.

Even if you have purchased the printer ready-made, the Z-level must be calibrated. It's enough that you lift the printer to another location, so you may need to calibrate it.

This video will help you get started.
general-discussion-announcements-and-re ... 13545.html
Happy owner of a Prusa MK3

chad.s14

Dec 03, 2018 4:10 pm

I was having issue since the room my printer in was cold. I increased the bed temp to 80 vs 60 and started using the brim function more often.

Chad

Malibusteve

Dec 03, 2018 5:44 pm

I was having a little bit of this issue last night with one of my prints when printing solid infill really fast. I had to increase the nozzle temp and slow it down slightly. I think the PLA was cooling too quick due to how fast it was going. Fixed it by bumping up the temp by 3-4 degrees. Looks super smooth and perfect now! What filament are you using?

bernard.c4

Dec 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I did a "Z calibration" and tried reprinting the PRUSA logo and I was delighted when it *stuck*. It had done a fair bit of the bottom layer and so I went away with it happily printing. When I came back, this is what I found:

I heated the nozzle and got the partial print off cleanly and this is how far it got:

Does that give any hint as to what went wrong? Why would it gum up after getting that far? At least the base stuck to the plate this time...

/Bernie\

Grafzahl

Dec 04, 2018 8:02 am

Hi there, i can jump on the same train it seems.

Got my printer a week ago, and nearly since day 1 everything is warping like hell, even the XYZ Testcube doesnt stick to the bed and comes lose at some point - Realy frustrating.

The funny thing is that my first layer calibration seems to be on point, i printed 5 0.2 layers around the bed, they all had a nice flat finish and where sticking to the bed like hell, it took me 10 minutes to get all PLA Chips from the bed. I cleaned everything with soap & water and Alcohol , so there is no grease on the bed. (BTW: is it normal that the Steelsheet is this sensitive to scratches and bumps?)

Then i started a "normal" print, and as soon as the fan starts blowing at the second layer the first layer seems to just pop of and warpes like crazy - I can remove every part on the platform with no force at all.

toaf

Dec 04, 2018 8:04 am

so the first layer is good? maybe you can lower the Z abit more.

or try the glue.
I have a Prusa,
therefore I research.

thanks,
chris

Grafzahl

Dec 04, 2018 8:08 am

First layer seems good for me, if i go lower the nozzle starts to grind the filament creating an uneven surface, which i think should be avoided. Like i said, i have the feeling that the part Cooling Fan seems to "Shock" the First Layer - I never had such behaviour with PLA on all my other printers before, thought PLA is bulletproof against warping...
toaf wrote:
Dec 04, 2018 8:04 am
or try the glue.
Well, the thing is: I payed 800 Bucks for a printer that all i want from is producing semi nice pla prints. Not gonna start to punch glue on the bed for every new print like i got a ANET A6...
Last edited by Grafzahl on Dec 04, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

toaf

Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am

maybe turn the fan down or off. see what happens. you on standard prusa pla settings?

I know what you mean about the glue. but it might be a good band aid until you figure it out.

I just spent 2 weeks setting up a MMU so I understand setup frustrations.
I have a Prusa,
therefore I research.

thanks,
chris

Return to “Assembly and first prints troubleshooting”