does your MMU2 work with 100% reliability while spending less than 1 day of troubleshooting ?

Yes
16%
No, it took me way longer to get it to work
21%
No, I did not get it to print with 100% reliability even after extended troubleshooting
62%

Total votes: 85
PJR
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 25

Re: MMU2 - will it ever work reliably ?

Jan 18, 2019 8:57 pm

steve.g wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 8:38 pm
I might be one of the few, but my (2nd) MMU1 actually worked flawlessly.
Yeah, both my MMU1s work perfectly as does my MMU2 now, after a few modifications.

I think that you will soon figure out the problems (all well documented here) and be printing 5 colours perfectly.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

steve.g

Jan 19, 2019 7:29 am

PJR wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 8:57 pm
I think that you will soon figure out the problems (all well documented here) and be printing 5 colours perfectly.
Probably, but see, that is where my issue with this entire thing lies:
I (and everyone else) was/were promised a good working - production quality - item when I purchased it Heck, it was delayed several times because they [paraphrasing] "didn't want to ship something not production ready".

If I want to have to mess around with it to work reliably I would've subscribed for the beta testing.
But I do not. I use the printers to print things, not to have to fix them constantly.

It is what it is, and we'll have to deal with it, but all of this (MMU1, MMU2) is severely undermining my trust in Prusa as a brand. I was super enthusiastic when the SL1 was announced and normally I would've preordered it right away, but now I decided to wait until it ships and has proven itself. For me, It will be like that for everything prusa from here on out.

flaviu.i

Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm

steve.g wrote:
Jan 19, 2019 7:29 am

I (and everyone else) was/were promised a good working - production quality - item when I purchased it
Who promised you that? Where does it say that?

steve.g

Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm

flaviu.i wrote:
Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm
Who promised you that? Where does it say that?
Euh, I'm sorry, are you actually suggesting that you paid €299 assuming you would be used as a beta tester?

The entire premise of buying things instead of developing them yourself is that the testing was done for you and that you will get a working product.
If Prusa works on a different assumption, the shop should mention as such. "please purchase our products at your own discretion as we cannot guarantee they will work out of the box". Come on...

nikolai.r
Answers: 4

Jan 19, 2019 10:46 pm

steve.g wrote:
Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm
Euh, I'm sorry, are you actually suggesting that you paid €299 assuming you would be used as a beta tester?
Same old story. Buying first released version of a product is always kind of beta tester. You will find this sentence in every forum for any brand/product. Price doesn't mean anything. First Tesla drivers complained about same thing and they paid more than $299.

rob.l6
Answers: 1

Jan 20, 2019 5:04 am

nikolai.r wrote:
First Tesla drivers complained about same thing and they paid more than $299.

Don't have to be first, some people are still complaining ;)

dryja123
Answers: 1

Jan 20, 2019 6:45 am

Let’s not forget that the MMU 2.0 was delayed for a bit because of beta testing.

I believe Jo said in a video with Tom that they were taking their time with the MMU 2.0 so they wouldn’t release a product that wasn’t ready. I’ll have to go back and verify my source on that.

steve.g

Jan 20, 2019 7:41 am

nikolai.r wrote:
Same old story. Buying first released version of a product is always kind of beta tester. You will find this sentence in every forum for any brand/product. Price doesn't mean anything. First Tesla drivers complained about same thing and they paid more than $299.

Sure, there's always companies trying to get away with things like that, doesn't make it right.
dryja123 wrote:
Jan 20, 2019 6:45 am
I believe Jo said in a video with Tom that they were taking their time with the MMU 2.0 so they wouldn’t release a product that wasn’t ready.

Yes, indeed, that's what I was referring to as well, but couldn't find it again. Anyway I stand by what I said. I'll just buy things a year or so later from now on. Really don't have the time or drive to tinker with all this.

marc.o2

Jan 22, 2019 10:12 am

Hello,

Today I abandoned definitely !!!
During the last month I had a few good experiences where the MMU worked, but then there were more days/prints when the damn thing just failed without any apparent reason. I didn't change anything from the previous prints, after all.

So today I had to print in a hurry a prototype and it failed again. Spend again 2 hours troubleshooting and failed to get it to work.
So I dismounted the thing downgraded the firmware and printed my part......

What a disappointment and waste of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jorge rui.s

Jan 22, 2019 11:14 am

marc.o2 wrote: Hello,

Today I abandoned definitely !!!
During the last month I had a few good experiences where the MMU worked, but then there were more days/prints when the damn thing just failed without any apparent reason. I didn't change anything from the previous prints, after all.

So today I had to print in a hurry a prototype and it failed again. Spend again 2 hours troubleshooting and failed to get it to work.
So I dismounted the thing downgraded the firmware and printed my part......

What a disappointment and waste of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a relevant statement for me. I will postpone the investment on the printer until Prusa offer a stable Multi-Material-Unit. Maybe by that time will have the new Mk4 and a mora integrated MMU device.

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”