peter.l22
Answers: 5

Re: The most important links - Original Prusa i3 MK3 Multi Material

Sep 17, 2018 1:37 pm

george.v4 wrote:
Sep 16, 2018 6:32 pm
Folks, I do not see a cross walk of various material compatibility; will for example will ABS, PLA, FLEX, and PVA work together in one print sort of thing.
This is particularly important when trying to choose support material and FLEX materials with other substrates.
Am I just missing something (if so pat on my flat head and tell me where to look)?

St George
I think you don't see it because it's too new and nobody's figured all of this out yet. But it would be an excellent science project and helpful community resource for anyone who wants to go through the effort...

Based on my experience with the Palette, you should be able to get PLA and TPU to work together since they have similar extrusion temperatures and it is possible to get them to fuse. But PLA and ABS is never going to work. I have no idea about PETG and anything else.

toaf
Answers: 6

Sep 18, 2018 2:04 am

I was able to get petg and pla to work togeather "ok" manually. I would say the "trick" is to modify models so the main material printed kinda makes "tabs" and holds onto the material that wont stick good. if you get what I mean. those test were only a few layers high. what kinda fool would manually do a 250 layer color change.......
I have a Prusa,
therefore I research.

thanks,
chris

peter.l22
Answers: 5

Sep 18, 2018 1:50 pm

toaf wrote:
Sep 18, 2018 2:04 am
I was able to get petg and pla to work togeather "ok" manually. I would say the "trick" is to modify models so the main material printed kinda makes "tabs" and holds onto the material that wont stick good. if you get what I mean. those test were only a few layers high. what kinda fool would manually do a 250 layer color change.......
Yes to this: If you're trying to combine two materials that don't fuse well, the best strategy is to design the model so that the different materials interlock mechanically.

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 70

Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm

I did a test piece with PLA and TPU
PLA-TPU.jpg
PLA-TPU.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 489 times
Ooooohhhh!... tis upside down...
as you can see above, I overlapped the silver PLA over the black TPU, and as you can see in the picture below, the resultant model is flexible
PLA-TPU1.jpg
PLA-TPU1.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 489 times
I did a similar print with 0.4mm but joint, the pla-tpu joint had some strength, but was not a good option!

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 70

Sep 18, 2018 2:32 pm

I did a test print with black tpu and silver PLA
PLA-TPU.jpg
PLA-TPU.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 489 times
as you can see, they bonded well, and flexing did not peel the joint!
PLA-TPU1.jpg
PLA-TPU1.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 489 times
I did a similar print with a 0.4mm but joint, whilst the plastic bonded it was not a satisfactory solution.

regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

abraham.m

Oct 04, 2018 8:55 pm

I've done the same, mixing materials which "don't" mix, both on a dual nozzle system and just by manual filament switching. It's not AS GOOD as homogeneous prints, but they DO work.

Red TPU, GitD White PLA, Black ink
IMG_20180411_201953.jpg
IMG_20180411_201953.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 413 times
I maintain an informal list of San Diego, CA 3D printing enthusiasts. PM me for details. If you include a contact email and I can add you to the informal mailing list.

laird.p

Oct 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Please add this fantastic manual https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/MMU2+f ... 79?lang=en to the 'most important links'. This new article was posted on the forums, and it explains things that are not explained anywhere else!

stephen.o9

Nov 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi,
Where do I find a link to the MMU2 related parts of the Slic3r PE?

Thanks in advance :-)
Best Regards

Stephen Odgaard
Copenhagen DK

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”