nikolai.r
Answers: 4

Re: Forum - Reorg

Jan 18, 2019 3:00 pm

I would not change everything. But maybe merging
-> MK3, MK2.5, MK2/MK2S to one block
-> MMU1 and MMU2 also to one block
The discussions in this categories are very similar.

Instead creating a subcategory like MK3,MK2.5,MK2/MK2S in this main categories for model specific questions.

randolph.l

Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm

if a reply in the Archive sections could go into the proper active section perhaps with a link back to the archived post thread in question (That nothing new gets added into a an archive section of old threads. that way it is now they are not really archives but just as active as the other sections.)

so I search for a problem and i find it in one of the archive sections( perhaps"Archive MK3 Hardware" after reading the thread I want to add something or state I have a like problem. I type my message but rather than have said reply become a part of a year old thread and new starter msg is created with a link back to the archived thread with my addition and it appears in the current MK3 Hardware section.

rob.l6
Answers: 1

Jan 19, 2019 5:42 am

RetireeJay wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm
Essentially, the correct answer is to learn to use the Search feature.
LOL, funny stuff indeed.

Another technical forum I have been involved with have a few mods who spend all their time replying with "Search before anyone answers". And usually not in so many words either. It would need something as radical as that in this forum for people to get the message, and an entirely separate issue.
Last edited by rob.l6 on Jan 19, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rob.l6

Jan 19, 2019 5:51 am

jakub.d wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm
Hi guys,
thanks for the feedback. We had several solutions, but this one seemed the best. What kind of structure do you suggest?
For me, there are just too many categories to make much sense, simply because most questions cut across more than one category.

By all means leave the different hardware at the top level. Those of us who don't use the mmu2 don't really need to see the posts turn up in the mk2.5/3 area.

But having a general discussion, a how do print this section, assembly and first prints and a hardware/firmware section is just a bit silly. Each of these could be bundled up into one "troubleshooting section", surely.

Anyhow, that's just me ;)

Peace out.

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 70

Jan 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Deflector shields engaged...

tongue firmly in cheek...

this is not a serious option...

I guess we could also say that it's ridiculous having our knowledge base spread across seven languages, it is a waste and duplication...

the obvious solution would be to condense down to one language... but how many of us speak read and type Czech... ?

I for one, have enough problem typing My native language coherently at times! (As some of you have noticed!)

I am grateful that a lot of forum members choose to come to the English language forum for help and to share their experience.

There are far more topics discussed in the English forum than any of the other languages.

However from time to time, I have used translate to look at the other forum sections and there are some interesting items in the other languages.

there are also contributors who contribute in different languages, for which I am most grateful, otherwise we may miss out on issues here.

Earlier someone said it would be good if there was an Advanced Search facility on the forum...

It's already available
advanced search.png
advanced search.png (40.15 KiB) Viewed 72 times
in the image above I initially searched for M600 and got 392 hits, then I searched for M600 and joan.t as the author and reduced that number to 32 hits...

regards Joan

Deflector shields left active!!! :)
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

rob.l6

Jan 19, 2019 2:51 pm

joan.t wrote:

I guess we could also say that it's ridiculous having our knowledge base spread across seven languages, it is a waste and duplication...

Agreed.

RetireeJay
Answers: 3

Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

joan.t wrote:

Earlier someone said it would be good if there was an Advanced Search facility on the forum...

It's already available
advanced search.png
in the image above I initially searched for M600 and got 392 hits, then I searched for M600 and joan.t as the author and reduced that number to 32 hits...

regards Joan

Deflector shields left active!!! :)
Oops! On the other forum, the Search and Advanced search were both in the upper right of the screen. On this forum, there is only a simple Search in the upper right of the screen, and that's the only one I looked at, so I missed the fact that there's a (redundant) simple Search as well as an Advanced Search in the upper left of the screen. Old habits die hard! :roll:

[spoken by a person who has been known to lose a piece of paper on his desk without ever leaving the desk. :lol: ]

steven.p8

Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Once a forum gets past about 10 categories, I also just use the "new posts" feature. Sometimes this results in a reply to an MK2 problem with a solution for an MK3.

Steve

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 70

Jan 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi Steven,
have a similar problem,
I try to remember to peek at the top of the screen to check the forum,

Confuses me when I see a Mk3 printer issue, posted in a mk2 forum... and confuses me further when the original poster re posts in mk3 without acknowledging a suggestion in the mk2 forum...

Hi RetireeJay,

I can lose things like that too... :D

Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

nikolai.r

Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

joan.t wrote:
Jan 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Confuses me when I see a Mk3 printer issue, posted in a mk2 forum... and confuses me further when the original poster re posts in mk3 without acknowledging a suggestion in the mk2 forum...
That's exactly why I suggest to combine this categories.
-> MK3, MK2.5, MK2/MK2S to one block
-> MMU1 and MMU2 also to one block

That should reduce the amount of categories without loosing the main structure.

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”