nikolai.r
Answers: 9

Forum - Reorg

Jan 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Just a small suggestion regarding this forum structure.

Right now I feel a little bit hard to navigate through many topics. If you own MK2.5/MK3 and MMU2, you have to go through 22 categories. Maybe it would make sense to combine or restructure them.

rob.l6
Answers: 3

Re: Forum - Reorg

Jan 18, 2019 2:13 am

Yup, has been like this since the last re-org.

Hard to navigate, hard to keep track of posts, hard to know where to post, etc etc.

:idea: The structure needs to be flattened out in a big way :!:

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 72

Jan 18, 2019 2:44 am

I have to say, I am a bit lazy...

I simply look at new posts, and all new posts come to me...

and I ignore the foreign language posts (Actually I sometimes peep at the foreign language ones using translate... and If something lurks a while with no reply, I will make a reply in english, and post both the original english text and a translated version, in case the translation is not too good!)

hope this helps,

Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

rob.l6

Jan 18, 2019 3:13 am

joan.t wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 2:44 am

I simply look at new posts, and all new posts come to me...

Joan
All the more reason to abandon having so many categories. And the notification feature doesn't appear to always work. (The last one was a bonus gripe :lol: )

charles.h13

Jan 18, 2019 12:39 pm

I agree. Very difficult. Re-org is good idea.

RetireeJay
Answers: 4

Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm

I've been very active on another printer forum, and at one time there were also calls there for re-organizing when new models came out. But it's a LOT of trouble for the forum administration (if it's even possible to move existing posts into new categories, which I doubt!). We never did it on that forum.

Like Joan, I simply use the feature to "look at new posts".

But if you want to dig out existing answers, it's the classic "filing" problem. Hercule Poirot's faithful secretary Miss Lemon developed a system that worked wonderfully for her to keep track of his correspondence, but the system was entirely opaque to anyone else on the planet.

Or to put it another way, if you have a concern about first-layer adhesion, that question may - or may not - be specific to the model printer you have. Every 3D printer on the planet, regardless of brand or model, has some issue with first layer adhesion. On the other hand, using the PINDA probe and the "Live Z" settings correctly is quite specific to the MK3. So if a MK3 user poses a question about first layer adhesion and the real answer for that specific questioner turns out to be surface preparation or a bad batch of filament - is that a MK3 question or a generic first-layer question? An ideal filing system would cross-reference, but who would administer that and how?

Essentially, the correct answer is to learn to use the Search feature.

HOWEVER - and this is my suggestion to the forum administration - the other 3D printer forum that I referred to has enabled an "Advanced Search" as well as the generic search. Advanced Search allows you to formulate a search that includes not only keywords, but also authors, date ranges, and so on. And you can restrict your results to cases where the keyword is in the topic title, or in the body of the post. And there are other filters too to help you zero in on what you want.

I suspect that the underlying software running this forum and the other forum is the same: phpBB, so the Advanced Search feature should be available.

joan.t
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 72

Jan 18, 2019 1:10 pm

I will raise this with the team at Prusa.... regards Joan
I try to make suggestions that I believe to be well founded and safe,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions,
what you do, is YOUR responsibility.

jakub.d
Forum admin
Forum admin

Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi guys,
thanks for the feedback. We had several solutions, but this one seemed the best. What kind of structure do you suggest?

To me personally, the current tree structure is way easier to navigate, you can see any type of the printer straight away:
Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 13.48.03.png
Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 13.48.03.png (166.32 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Assembly manuals / Knowledge Base
Manuály pro složení / Centrum nápovědy

The guy behind Prusa assembly manuals...

jakub.d
Forum admin
Forum admin

Jan 18, 2019 1:55 pm

RetireeJay wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm
...has enabled an "Advanced Search" as well as the generic search. Advanced Search allows you to formulate a search that includes not only keywords, but also authors, date ranges, and so on. And you can restrict your results to cases where the keyword is in the topic title, or in the body of the post. And there are other filters too to help you zero in on what you want...
Thanks for the tip, I will discuss this with our devs ;)
Assembly manuals / Knowledge Base
Manuály pro složení / Centrum nápovědy

The guy behind Prusa assembly manuals...

PJR
Forum moderator
Forum moderator
Answers: 27

Jan 18, 2019 1:58 pm

jakub.d wrote:
Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm
To me personally, the current tree structure is way easier to navigate, you can see any type of the printer straight away:
But many user's do not :(

I have given up moving posts to the correct forum.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

Return to “General discussion, announcements and releases”