pete.r

Grind at beginning of wipe tower only ? Please help.

Dec 28, 2018 4:45 pm

I have managed to cure all but one grinding scenario. Using these settings :
Hardware And Software:
• MMU2 : 1.0.3 - replaced Orange tube with clear tube so I could observe filament movement and condition of the end bullet and increased ID to
2.5mm
• MK3 Firmware 3.5.1-1778
• Slic3r 1.41.2+win64
• Current setup Hardware as per install instructions
• Filament calibration to below the Bowden wheel (all five from secret menu)
• Software have only tweaked the "Loading Speed at Start" to 19mm/s from 3mm/s to try and match motor speeds.

Also have plastic windmills on both Extruder and MMU2 load motors so I can see whats going on.

I now have only one issue left. This ONLY happens on the first movement as the print head leaves the initial load stripe on the front of the platter and at the point it starts the Wipe tower. At this instant for no apparent reason the MMU2 Load motor kicks in for no apparent reason. This causes a grind . It never happens after that on any filament change. As the filament was already loaded for the front wipe and the filament is a 100% loaded why would the MMU2 motor be involved at this point.

Is there a way to fix this and stop it doing this ?

pete.r

Re: Grind at beginning of wipe tower only ? Please help.

Dec 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Quick addendum , just seens printer does NOT do this on First Layer Calibration

pete.r

Re: Grind at beginning of wipe tower only ? Please help.

Dec 28, 2018 6:01 pm

OK sorry to bother all but figured this one out. Its the Printer Settings > Single Extruder Setup > Extra Loading Distance = 0 (default -13) . I also set back the Calibration to install instructions in the middle of the Bowden cog in the extruder.

So after reprinting the idler and idler body and playing around for days with the spring tensions. I belive my cure has been purely in Slic3r as things like First Layer calibration grind just as I began .

So all hardware setup exactly as per Manual .

Most simplistic Slic3r changes that worked for me .

Filament Settings > Loading speed at start = 19mms (default 3mm/s)
Printer Settings > Single Extruder Setup > Extra Loading Distance = 0 (default -13)

The other setting I play with per filament as this is all based on Prusa PLA was

Filament Settings > Number of cooling moves > Default = 1 (I use this with PLA) and I have used 2 with PETG to refine the filament end nose bullet

Return to “Hardware, firmware and software help”