I've been printing this spiral chess set on thingiverse with my new MK3: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:470700
Since I'm a bit picky about quality I've been trying to print at 0.05 resolution since otherwise the layer lines of the rounded parts and spiral are too obvious (for me) and the model is hard to clean/paint.
The overall print looks great but the spiral itself always has this 'fuzzed' lower edge that I haven't been able to get rid of. It's hard to take a picture of well, but the below black version shows pretty well:
The picture might make it look like strings, but the edge is fairly solid. It's stuff that I can clean up a bit but was trying to take this as a test example to try to see if I can improve this. There is white fuzz around the model too because I was using random z seams. With this black PLA these are very visible.
I've tried to use different PLAs (Hatchbox, Amazon Basics, Paramount) and they all have the same issue.
I've tried many many things and none of them seems to improve the situation by much.
This seems to be caused by the spiral corners curling slightly up during the print and as the nozzle draws the perimeter it pushes the curled material off to the side. This just builds up from layer to layer.
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what could stop the curling from happening. I've tried:
* Lowering the temperature of the nozzle down to 195 (lower and I start getting failures) - Didn't help.
* Lowering the bed temperature from 60 to 50 to see if it might reduce curling - Didn't help.
* Trying to increase retraction length and/or speed. I do see a bit of stringing/oozing as the spirals are being built so was thinking maybe I'll try to stop that. I haven't been able to completely get rid of it though. Tried retract speeds of 100mm/s and distances of 0.2mm to 1mm.
* Tried Cura vs. Slic3r PE - Sometimes this makes a difference for me but didn't seem to.
* Tried to switch off z-hop - Eventually the model got knocked off.
* Tried the Coasting functionality on Cura - Seems to help just slightly but still not gone.
* Tried to reduce speeds to 25mm/s or so - Doesn't seem to help there.
* Tried to make the z seam random - doesn't seem to help much.
Not sure what else to try. Any pointers/suggestions?