AndreB

Overheating Printer by Enclosing it?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey guys!

I just build my i3 Mk2s and it prints like a boss!

Basically I'm super happy with it, but since we live in an open rooftop I do have to quite the printer down. After installing some antivibration feet, wich allready helped a lot, I'm convinced that the next step would be an enclosure, also since Thomas Sanladerer made some tests and promotes it for further printing quality improvements.

The only thing I'm worrieng about is if the whole system might heat up way too much and starts catching fire since all the heat is captured within the enclosure.

So some questions pop up I would be super happy to get some thoughts an opinions on:
How warm can it get within the enclosure before failures occure?
Is there maybe some internal shut down if a certain temperature is reached?
What is a good target temperature in order to increase printing quality?
Do I have to worry about it at all, since the heated bed and the nozzle is not enough get generate dangerous temperatures?

My target would be that the printer can run an 18H+ print within the enclosure and I don't have to worry burning my flat down! :D

Thank you very much in advance!

TiccTech

Re: Overheating Printer by Enclosing it?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 pm

For quieting the printer without an enclosure, see this thread:
improvements-f14/best-usd7-buck-improve ... t3051.html
The mass of the base gets rid of many resonances, which makes the printer pretty quiet, and higher print quality.

You could also put some sound baffles around the printer without a complete enclosure. A complete enclosure will trap heat (unless the enclosure has its own cooling fan to move air through it) which can be good for the print, especially for some filament types. Too much heat will, however, shorten the life of electronics and motors, and if the cold end of the extruder gets too warm it can mess up extrusion by softening the filament before it gets to the heat break, which makes it hard to push it through the nozzle.

So... it's a balancing act. Good luck. :)

JeffJordan
Pro
Pro
Topics answered: 16

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 pm

one of the main problems is that the coldend of the E3D v6 extruder needs to be cooled down to be "cold at touch". with the actual design of the printer and the extruder fan (the one at the left) this means: as soon as the temperature gets above 40 - 45°C you risk a clogging of the heatbreak when retracting.
while 45°C won't do any harm to the electronics or the steppers.
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

ross.p2

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 pm

I've built a 24 X 24 X 26 enclosure for my MK2S a few weeks ago to minimize sound since it's sitting in the middle of our office. I've done multiple long prints and have noticed that the temperature inside the enclosure only gets to about 30.5 degrees Celsius max. When the print is done and the sides are open you can definitely feel the heat inside. I have not noticed any issues printing PLA or PETG. I have plans to install baffles to the top of the enclosure to vent out some air but still keep it quiet but since the temperature has been holding consistently I don't I will need to.

tobias.k3

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 am

I have completely closed enclosure with no designated holes for venting. Power supply and raspberry pi sit outside.

Maximum temperature inside was 32 °C when printing ABS in summer. -> No heat problem

Return to “Improvements”