tim.h3

Rambo cover design problem

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 am

The part prints OK and looks like it will work, but it's not quite right. You can see that the cutouts were done first at full width, then material was added after, but not all the way down to the base plane. I'm not an open scad expert enough to easily fix.

The base has the same problem.
rambo cover problem.PNG
rambo cover problem.PNG (28.64 KiB) Viewed 498 times

tim.h3

Re: ORIGINAL PRUSA I3 MK2S RELEASE (UPDATED)

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Not printed yet, but these changes to the scad file seem to fix the problem.
Door fix.PNG
Door fix.PNG (30.05 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Door fix image.PNG
Door fix image.PNG (17.18 KiB) Viewed 494 times

tim.h3

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Learned on github that the design is intentional based on PET properties.
I printed the "fixed" version with the PETG I use without trouble.
Not functionally any better, but a little better looking I think.

MrMik
Topics answered: 2

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Sorry to be a slack-ass, but I don't have time to read through 12 pages at the moment.

Which of the printed parts do I need to print before taking the printer apart for the upgrade?

The instructions seem to be very good, but they don't mention which parts have actually been changed. Or, I might have missed it due to poor attention span.

Obviously the extruder carrier and the extruder body with the new PINDA holder need to be printed, but what else?

Thanks, Mik

JeffJordan
Pro
Pro
Topics answered: 16

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 pm

just from memory:
the x-end motor and the x-end idler parts are altered as well .... but the holes for the bearings doesn't hold them as tight as the previous ones.
then whe have the new part for the cable enforcement. the y-belt holder ... then the new piece for keeping the distance between y-motor and rods.
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

MrMik

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:11 am

Thank you Jeff, much appreciated.

However, I think I need to carefully look through all the parts and decide what needs to be printed, and what could be printed as optional part before taking the printer apart.

Shipping seems to take forever at the moment, so I might have a lot of time to prepare properly.

Regarding the new Rambo base, with the extruder cable bundle coming out of the top vs out of the side: Is this an improvement with regards to cable longevity before they break due to repeated bending? Is it worth 'upgrading' to this new cover version? I assume the Rambo hinges and door would also need to be printed to fit the new base.

MrMik

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:27 am

JeffJordan wrote:just from memory:
the x-end motor and the x-end idler parts are altered as well .... but the holes for the bearings doesn't hold them as tight as the previous ones.
then whe have the new part for the cable enforcement. the y-belt holder ... then the new piece for keeping the distance between y-motor and rods.
Thank you very much!

I think maybe only the extruder carrier and extruder body and the Y-distance part are absolutely required, because the link on the PRUSA page http://www.prusa3d.com/prusa-i3-printable-parts/#_ga=1.32234427.429769134.1486255556 for the .gcode for the upgrade ("Download MK2S upgrade gcodes") only contains those files. You can drop it into http://jherrm.com/gcode-viewer/ to see it's contents as a print simulation.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-04-28 17-29-05.png
Screenshot from 2017-04-28 17-29-05.png (241.9 KiB) Viewed 268 times

JeffJordan
Pro
Pro
Topics answered: 16

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 am

MrMik wrote:...Regarding the new Rambo base, with the extruder cable bundle coming out of the top vs out of the side: Is this an improvement with regards to cable longevity before they break due to repeated bending? ....
i think that what it's intended for.
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

jakub.d

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 am

Hi guys,

Update 5 posted in on the first page, to clear the confusion regarding printed parts for MK2S. In general, the biggest changes are with Extruder components.

MrMik

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:14 am

jakub.d wrote:Hi guys,

Update 5 posted in on the first page, to clear the confusion regarding printed parts for MK2S. In general, the biggest changes are with Extruder components.
Thank you very much, that's much clearer now.

Do I remember correctly that I saw somewhere that the 'cable-holder' is included in the upgrade pack, printed from some special material?

If not, then the 'cable-holder' also needs to be printed before dis-assembly.

I like the mouse-ears in the upgrade .gcode file. I print the parts with brim, but then I have to spend a few minutes with a sharp knife cleaning it up after printing.

Return to “Original Prusa i3 MK2”