jorgen.r

OctoPrint on MK3?

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:51 pm

hi, so i bought a raspberry pi zero w, but i dont know how to install it. i have tried different headless guide on the internett, but i doesn't seem to work.
So i never worked on either octoprint or a raspberry before, how difficult is it to install and set up octoprint and do i need some connector pins for the MK3? is there a wiring diagram on what pins i need, and how many?

best regards
Jorgen.

Zaz

Re: OctoPrint on MK3?

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Which part of the install doesn't work?

Last time I installed octoprint on a Pi, it was on an old original model, and following the guide here worked: http://octoprint.org/download/
I just downloaded the custom ubuntu dist, and wrote it to the sd card, ssh (with putty) to do the final settings, then go.

waldemar.g
Topics answered: 1

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:39 pm

jorgen.r wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:51 pm
hi, so i bought a raspberry pi zero w, but i dont know how to install it. i have tried different headless guide on the internett, but i doesn't seem to work.
Check out http://octoprint.org/download/
If you JUST want to use it as Octoprint the easiest way is to install the OctoPi image.
Just remember that the RPi Zero W uses the same CPU like the RPi just bit faster. check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

If you plan to use a webcam in Octoprint think about another RPi or single-board-computer.
Check: https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/software ... tml#p22791

If you power the RPi via the connector and print via Octoprint and then have a power loss the POWER PANIC will not work!!! The RPi will crash and restart.

Question is if the Power Panic is still working (saving position and raise the nozzle min 2mm) with a connected RPi.

We will see how the Power Panic is implemented, as long you print from the SD that should not be a problem. Let's hope for a Octoprint plugin getting the same while printing via Octoprint, as the power loss pin is available on that header.

I like the C.H.I.P. with Octoprint for that bit more, because it has a build in LiPo charger/backup, and will stay powered up during power failure.
The ESP8266/ESP32 ESP3D project https://github.com/luc-github/ESP3D is also looking promising.
So i never worked on either octoprint or a raspberry before, how difficult is it to install and set up octoprint and do i need some connector pins for the MK3? is there a wiring diagram on what pins i need, and how many?
Check this for wiring:
einsy_rambo_with_raspberry_pi-1024x662.jpg
einsy_rambo_with_raspberry_pi-1024x662.jpg (122.59 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
j8header-zero-large.png
j8header-zero-large.png (476.88 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
J19.JPG
J19.JPG (63.34 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
The GPIO3 on the Raspberry Pi Zero W is used to reset the printer.
The GPIO8 on the Raspberry Pi Zero W will inform the RPi of power loss.

Hope that helps.

EasyASABC123

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:44 pm

very informative i look forward to seeing where this goes as i love octoprint and prusa, the combination has always been a winning one

jorgen.r

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 pm

hello, sorry for my late replay, been busy.

thanks alot for alot and good information.

so i have tried to connect to the raspberry a couple of times now. but i cant get it online. i have tried with wpa2 and a open network. i did connect to it local with the raspberry software. but when i connected to putty i could write anything in the cmd. So i dont know where to go now, seen alot of video, but non of the solutions worked. will it be solved with a hdmi adapter?? :|

best regards

Zaz

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Something that lets you look at the screen the raspberry outputs sounds like a good idea, yes.

andrew.r4

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm

jorgen.r wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 pm
hello, sorry for my late replay, been busy.

thanks alot for alot and good information.

so i have tried to connect to the raspberry a couple of times now. but i cant get it online. i have tried with wpa2 and a open network. i did connect to it local with the raspberry software. but when i connected to putty i could write anything in the cmd. So i dont know where to go now, seen alot of video, but non of the solutions worked. will it be solved with a hdmi adapter?? :|

best regards
I got my pi zero w in the mail today. I haven't set it up yet, but I plan on doing a video on how to get octopi on it. I'll record the full process if you want to start from scratch. You mentioned putty, so I assume you're using Windows so I do my screen casting on that. I'm setting up a pi camera on it as well. I have a USB camera on my Pi 3 but its pretty terrible. I hear the pi cam is better since it goes directly to the GPU. I'll find out soon enough.

rotarypower101

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 am

Does anyone have a recommended tutorial for Mac that is clear and comprehensive?

Also would like to know which iOS apps to consider? Are iOS apps worth it?

Or are there better ways to get a video/time lapse feed on iOS ?

Would like to be able to be away from the machine and keep tabs on its progress, as well as pause/stop if something were going wrong.

Printing from a remote locations sounds fun, but can't really see how this would apply to me more than a novelty?

Does anyone not printing for profit use this functionality? As I assume it's a life saver for clients that delay and are tardy, and still being able to live a normal life and still be on schedule.

andrew.r4

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:34 am

rotarypower101 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 am
Does anyone have a recommended tutorial for Mac that is clear and comprehensive?

Also would like to know which iOS apps to consider? Are iOS apps worth it?

Or are there better ways to get a video/time lapse feed on iOS ?

Would like to be able to be away from the machine and keep tabs on its progress, as well as pause/stop if something were going wrong.

Printing from a remote locations sounds fun, but can't really see how this would apply to me more than a novelty?

Does anyone not printing for profit use this functionality? As I assume it's a life saver for clients that delay and are tardy, and still being able to live a normal life and still be on schedule.
Printing tethered to your computer runs risks with power outages, automatic updates rebooting your computer mid-print, etc. Removing the SD Card and copying files over gets old quickly. Being able to just type in octopi.local in your browser to drag and drop files over wirelessly is totally worth it. I'm finishing up my script for recording. The only real difference from Mac and windows is editing the wifi settings and ssh which is built into the terminal. Apple Pi Baker is awesome on Mac to write pi images to an sd cards. The difference is in the tool you edit the octopi_network.txt file. I use pico (command line text editor), but you can probably use text editor. SSH isn't hard and you only really need to do it the first time.

RHDreambox

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 am

so i have tried to connect to the raspberry a couple of times now. but i cant get it online. i have tried with wpa2 and a open network. i did connect to it local with the raspberry software. but when i connected to putty i could write anything in the cmd. So i dont know where to go now, seen alot of video, but non of the solutions worked. will it be solved with a hdmi adapter??
If you do not get in touch with http://octopi.local, then try IP-number instead
http://192.168.X.X (or https:)
The IP-address worked for me, but not server name.
Waiting for Prusa i3 MK3

Return to “Original Prusa i3 MK3”