richard.p16

Where do you buy your filament in the USA?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Where do you buy filament in the USA? I have been searching around and HobbyKing seems like the low cost provider of PLA. They have limited selection of other filaments but loads of PLA and ABS.
Thanks

andrew.r4

Re: Where do you buy your filament in the USA?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:10 pm

MakerGeeks. They have plenty of sales (BF sale I think is 25%), bulk pricing and and by far the best PETG I have ever used. I've only gotten their maker series, but its fantastic. I don't think you need to splurge and get the more expensive rolls unless it comes in a color you just have to have. The stuff bridges as good or better than PLA so you save a lot on not having to use as much support material. The default settings in Prusa Control are perfect for it as well. Shipping is free, but will take > 1 week.

Sometimes I'll get PLA from Amazon. AMZ3D I think is the name of the company, not a lot of color selection though. Prime shipping, was like $17 and had the best black PLA so far. Stay away from MeltInk3D. Their PLA is garbage and had a lot of snags that ruined prints on my mk2. Hatchbox is popular. I didn't like their PETG. eSUN PETG is the worst. My last print broke just trying to take it off the printer... re-printed in PLA and had no issues.

PushPlastic has some nice PLA. Most of my rolls have been great.

j1999t

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:24 pm

I buy mine from amazon mostly, staying with esun and Hatchbox brands, but i just ordered a 5lb spool of matterhackers pro pla, and am quite excited to use it.
Pre-ordered Pre-assembled MK3 Black
Wanhao Duplicator I3 with titan aero/duetwifi
soon to add-prusa z-axis motors and leadscrews
thicker or carbon fiber y-carriage

wcraigtrader

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 pm

I get good results from Inland PLA and PETG, the in-house brand for Microcenter, which I buy at the local store. I still have a large stock of ABS that I acquired from Makerbot for my previous printer.

corey.d3

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Friends of mine had great success with Pushplastic. The MK3 will be my first printer so I'm rolling with Pushplastic first.

george.b2
Topics answered: 1

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 am

wcraigtrader wrote:
I get good results from Inland PLA and PETG, the in-house brand for Microcenter, which I buy at the local store. I still have a large stock of ABS that I acquired from Makerbot for my previous printer.
Yeah, if you are lucky enough to be near a Micro Center, the Inland filaments are great. Cheap too, $15 per 2 kilo spool for PLA and ABS.

tom.l7

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:34 am

I like Atomic Filament. Their Impact Modified PLA is great -- strong and prints as well as regular PLA. PETG is very nice, and the carbon fiber petg is strong with a great look. A bit more expensive than other filaments, but I don't mind for a hobby.

colin.s3

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:01 pm

george.b2 wrote:
wcraigtrader wrote:
Yeah, if you are lucky enough to be near a Micro Center, the Inland filaments are great. Cheap too, $15 per 2 kilo spool for PLA and ABS.
The Microcenter website has free shipping on filament :mrgreen: . You can also get it from Amazon, although it tends to run a couple of bucks more.

richard.p16

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:14 pm

colin.s3 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:01 pm
george.b2 wrote:
wcraigtrader wrote:
The Microcenter website has free shipping on filament :mrgreen: . You can also get it from Amazon, although it tends to run a couple of bucks more.
I used to live in Tustin Ca, not far from MicroCenter. 8-) . I live in the SF Bay area now. You would think this would be 3D printing heaven but haven't found anything except for Fry's which is a drive. I have found several good sources online thanks to this post. Thanks everyone for posting your sources of filament.

toby.k

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Mostly Inland from MicroCenter (since I live 10 minutes from one) and then MakerGeeks as a second source, mostly for a better variety of colors then Inland.

Return to “Original Prusa i3 MK3”