carlos.b

PETG Filament advice

Sep 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking for a PETG filament for printing spare parts for my MK2 and some other stuff that will be exposed to sun and rain, The price of the filament in the Prusa Shop is probably the best I have find so far, but haven't found any review of this filament, have you tried it? do you recommend it? Is there another nice option?

Cheers!

:)

patrik.r

Re: PETG Filament advice

Sep 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Im only printing with eSUN filament, and I really like their PETG filaments as well.

william.w2
Contact: Send private message Website Facebook Twitter Skype YouTube Google+

Sep 20, 2016 2:42 pm

I use both MadeSolid PET+ and eSun PETG. Both print very well. Unfortunately it looks like MadeSolid is out of business although you can purchase filament on Amazon still [EDIT: Maybe not! ;(]. A friend uses Inland PETG and likes it also. I posted my Simplify3D profile which includes the eSun and MadeSolid PET products on the Simplify3D setting thread. I'll be happy to share the details with you if you like.

PETG is my "go to" filament. For me it combines the ease of PLA and the characteristics of ABS. The biggest issue I have with it is strings and blobs but I'm working on that. I might try NGEN also.
Bill W
"Even old dogs can learn new tricks!"

adrian.s2

Sep 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi,

I use eSun PETG exclusively now.

I managed to reduce a stringy \ blob problem by reducing the extrusion rate a small amount.

It seems for me that the PETG would build up on the nozzle due to a small excess delivery amount over time and periodically would catch on the print and either leave a small blob or string with the movement of the head.

Strings are not too much of a problem for me bit the odd blob could screw up anotherwise great print! :roll:

william.w2
Contact: Send private message Website Facebook Twitter Skype YouTube Google+

Sep 20, 2016 3:06 pm

I was noticing the buildup on the nozzle and had taken to using a brass wire brush to clean the nozzle before every print. But I've just installed a Filastruder sock on the head and it doesn't seem to suffer from that problem. I guess the PETG doesn't stick to the silicone much. Maybe that will help my blob problem.
Bill W
"Even old dogs can learn new tricks!"

roman.t
Pro
Pro
Answers: 4

Sep 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Yes, printing PET without buildup was one of the goals of that E3D sock.

carlos.b

Sep 20, 2016 6:18 pm

oh ok, good to know that. now going back to the first question, Has any of you tried the PETG filament from the Prusa Shop? ;)

luc.e

Sep 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi,

Yes I did with great success. I don't seem to have stringing and blob issues with it while using the standard PET Slic3r settings. I switched from ABS to PETG because on the new MK2 I had some issues with ABS first layer not sticking to the bed and I didn't want to use the juice on the PEI bed surface (difficult to remove). I did however had to lower the Z live a bit compared to using PLA.
For the moment I only used the transparent Prusa PETG. Find PETG so much better than PLA or ABS.
Prusa does not have a lot of colour choices so I'm now looking at buying from a local store and give it a try.

luc.e

Sep 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Examples of Prusa's PETG print
WP_20160923_16_04_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20160923_16_04_32_Pro.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 8414 times
WP_20160923_16_04_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20160923_16_04_47_Pro.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 8414 times

manuel.s

Sep 24, 2016 2:05 pm

carlos.b wrote:oh ok, good to know that. now going back to the first question, Has any of you tried the PETG filament from the Prusa Shop? ;)
I printed all replacement parts for the MK2 with the prusa shop PETG. 40 % infill, (officially they use 25 % with ABS) had no problems when using glue on the bed :-)

I'm thinking of switching to Esun PETG as my main filament when my current PLA runs out. Any tuning advice for the stock slic3r profile appreciated :-)

Also i would like to know if i can color petg like pla with sharpies ?? This would be really cool!

Return to “Others (Archive)”