JeffJordan
Pro
Pro
Topics answered: 17

Re: What are your settings using Linerar Advance ?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:41 am

hi guys, I'm mainly using simplify3D, so how do I get a benefit with the new linear advance functionality ?

guess I need to add a "M900 K30" to my start script (when printing with PLA), hoping it'll increase the layer quality at the edges.

now, does it make sense to increase the print speed from actually 55mm/s to a significant faster one ?
what about the above mentioned acceleration settings ? there are no options to modify them inside s3d.

cheers,
Jeff
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

PJR
Topics answered: 19

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am

Jeff

Slicers (other than Slic3r) should have acceleration set in Start G-code:

M201 X1500 Y1500 E900 ; set default acceleration

This can obviously be changed.

The K30 value is a starting point for direct drive, you will need to test for your printer/filament settings (softer filament = higher setting).

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

JeffJordan
Pro
Pro
Topics answered: 17

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 pm

PJR wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am
Slicers (other than Slic3r) should have acceleration set in Start G-code:
Any recommended values for the M201, M202 and M204 for the standard i3 MK2 and the one with MM-Kit ?
dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

PJR
Topics answered: 19

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Jeff

I think that it really is only M201 which needs to be set as the defaults in the firmware were (are still?) set such that steps would often be skipped.

The slicer will take care of the maximum speeds based on printer settings and max volumetric filament feed.

Peter
Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage or loss.

ron

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 pm

There are new settings for slic3r on github (https://github.com/prusa3d/Slic3r-settings) and one in "print settings" is called "0.20mm LA EXPERIMENTAL". Not tested.
M900 command and "Max volumetric speed" are integrated in "filament settings".
No change seen in "printer settings".

I'm still refining my extrusion calibration before going 100mm/s.

Area51

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 am

Installed the new released firmware 3.1.0 and the new updated profiles for Slic3r.

The new 0.20mm LA EXPERIMENTAL profile bumps the speed up to 100mm/s:
Prusa Speed Setting Experimental LA.JPG
Prusa Speed Setting Experimental LA.JPG (56.31 KiB) Viewed 300 times
I used the XYZ test cube from Thingiverse to compare it with speeds before LA and my earlier posted LA setup:
Cubes XYZ LA Test.jpg
Cubes XYZ LA Test.jpg (613.93 KiB) Viewed 300 times
- Test A: Original Slic3r profile before LA for Prusa PET - Print time approx 20min.
- Test F: My LA profile (60mm/s), posted earlier - Print time approx 17min.
- Test G: New 0.20mm LA EXPERIMENTAL, Max volumetric speed = 10 - Print time approx 14min.

Impressive result. All cubes is of acceptable quality, the two cubes printed with LA has better corners and flatter sides. The cube printed with LA EXPERIMENTAL has a little more ghosting (ringing) on the sides - maybe due to mechanical vibrations from the faster printing.

Printer used: Prusa MK2S single material, PETG from Devil Design, 0.4mm nozzle.
Take a look at my things on Thingiverse ;)

ron

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Area51 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 am
The new 0.20mm LA EXPERIMENTAL profile bumps the speed up to 100mm/s:
That is right and you should already know on that small cube it will be difficult to reach those 100mm/s. Just to underline that minimum time per layer and acceleration would limit the speed in that case.
I done on some bigger parts.
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 251 times
Dimension (~40mm x ~40mm x ~30mm) 0.3 layer height. ColorFabb XT. 5 perimeters and 50% infill. Speeds like "0.20mm LA EXPERIMENTAL". http://gcode.ws/ said I reached around 75 mm/s (acceleration excepted) due to the limit of 10mm3/s.
Then some lighter parts.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 251 times
Dimension (~130mm x ~35mm x ~45mm).
The grey is 0.2 layer height. ColorFabb XT. 7 perimeters at the base (on the top of the part on the photo) 3 perimeters after and 20% infill. Decreased external perimeters to 45 and Top solid infill to 30. The 100mm/s were reached for many lines.
The black is 0.2 layer height at the base 0.25 after (on the top of the part on the photo). Dutch filament PETG. 7 perimeters at the base 3 perimeters after and 20% infill. External perimeters to 45 and Top solid infill to 30. The 100mm/s were reached for many lines.
I think I will work around those parameters:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (65.58 KiB) Viewed 251 times
Those are my first real parts with Linear Advance. I second that feature to be the feature of the year! It saves around 20 up to 40% of my printing time. And I really really like the "sharp" corners on my square parts. Then the sides of the part are much functional, no more sand paper to remove extra material.

tobias.k3

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 pm

@Area51: Nice comparison

I did also tweaked my settings and ended with values almost identical to those of ron. Slower external perimeters and top infill speed for better visual quality :-) . With layer heights of 0.250 mm the material flow should be around 10 mm³/s, which is close to the upper limit which the hotend can handle (11mm³/s if I am correct).

So, if you want to shorten your print time you need layer heights >=0.3 mm and a more powerful heater. The Mk2 came with the 30 W heater, right? (I didn't find infos on that detail on the website) Did anyone test maximum material flows with a 40 W heater installed?

Area51

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 am

Thank you.

I ran the 0.20mm LA EXPERIMENTAL test without modification just to compare with PR original pre LA profile.

I agree, external perimeter and top/bottom speeds should be lowered to get best precision and appearance. Using PET, external perimeter speed of 40mm/s and 30mm/s for top/bot infill gives better or equal results. I keep first layer speed at 70%, maybe it should be lower...
I think small perimeters speed should be lowered as well, but the speed will never reach the full speed anyway.

If I set retract below 0.5mm I get small marks and ooze.
Most ghosting (ringing) will go away if XYJerk is lowered from 10mm/s^2 to 8mm/s^2 (M205 X8 ; Can be saved in EEPROM).
Haven't tried different layer height.

@ron: You are right, printing the small test cube will never reach full speed - a larger model will be needed ;)
Take a look at my things on Thingiverse ;)

Return to “Print tips - Slic3r settings, KISSlicer, model repair, ...”