richard.p16

Which upgrades are worth doing? Just about to do a major teardown.

Feb 09, 2019 4:22 pm

I am just finishing up with a lot of printing and going to pull the Prusa MK3 apart and repack the bearings. I got it a little over a year ago and have done a good amount of printing. I have already done B7 upgrade for the fan and OctoPrint with Raspberry 3. Other than that I have done nothing. i had used printed linear bushing for about 6 months but they started to bind and I put back the originals.

There are a boat load of upgrades and suggested upgrades and upgrade lists. My head is starting to spin.
I am going to do the Energy Chain upgrade that I found on Thingaverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2862375

Go ahead and make your must do and would be nice upgrades.

Thank You

tim.m30
Answers: 7

Re: Which upgrades are worth doing? Just about to do a major teardown.

Feb 10, 2019 7:04 am

I can recommend buying Misumi bearings; they are quieter and just feel better than whatever Prusa ships. I also designed some upper Z-Axis stops that are a bit more stout when the printer calibrates Z-Axis; they don't bend like the originals: but like anything, ymmv.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3327290
Last edited by tim.m30 on Feb 10, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

timo.m

Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm

If you don't have any Issues, I wouldn't see much need to do any major Upgrades beyond those that replace components with higher quality ones, like Misumi bearings for example.

The one thing I did was a reverse Bowden setup, becaus I didn't like the filament on top and I wanted to use bulky 2,6kg spools. There are a couple of different designs out there, just search reverse bowden on thingiverse,

richard.p16

Feb 12, 2019 4:02 am

timo.m wrote:
Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm
If you don't have any Issues, I wouldn't see much need to do any major Upgrades beyond those that replace components with higher quality ones, like Misumi bearings for example.

The one thing I did was a reverse Bowden setup, becaus I didn't like the filament on top and I wanted to use bulky 2,6kg spools. There are a couple of different designs out there, just search reverse bowden on thingiverse,
Yeah I have been looking at those. Nice.

nikolai.r
Answers: 4

Feb 12, 2019 5:35 am

Plastic cable chains can be loud and squeaky.
Must upgrade: R3 extruder
Everything else only if it's worn out. Like the bearings/rods, trapezoidal nuts and fans.

Any other nice to have mods is just a personal preference.

guy.k2
Answers: 7

Feb 12, 2019 8:41 am

While you are upgrading to an R3 extruder, I strongly recommend replacing the standard x-carriage back with one that allows belt adjustment without taking apart the entire cable bundle like this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2731484

The stock R3 design back requires one to undo the cable bundle to adjust x-belt tooth position. With a split back, you remove the top half of the back to access the x-belt. No need to take apart the entire cable bundle.

Return to “User mods - OctoPrint, enclosures, nozzles, ...”